Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am almost definitely going to getting myself an astra some time over the next few months.

I am agonising over which model to choose. Although part of me really fancies the 170ps 2.0 petrol, the turbo diesels seem to make a lot more sense - and I need to be sensible with a little one on the way!

What is confusing me, I have looked through the astra brochure and tech spec data from the local stealer and am unclear what the difference is between the two 1.9 diesels at 120 and 150ps. I did a forum search and there is some suggestion that the 120 is only 8v, but in black and white in front of me it says they are both 16v. Also, their weight is exactly the same.

Is it just a case that the ECU map is different? If so, does this mean a 120 could be chipped to 150?

Any ideas / experience / advice would be much appreciated....

Thanks

John

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
It's a mystery!

In a Vectra 2006 sales brochure the 120 is 8v while the 150 is 16v but in an Astra 2005 sales brochure both are shown as 16v. The power/torque figures are identical between the two brochures.

If you want the higher power buy the 150, you'll have to pay the higher insurance if you chip it anyway.

I'd suggest you contact Vauxhall directly through their website www.vauxhall.co.uk

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
Astras all use the 16V unit, detuned in the 120.

Vectras use an 8V 120.

That's where the confusion comes from.

the 888 diesel Astra is a 120 with 160 and 190BHP maps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts