Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started having problems with my astra to do with erractic idling and inttermitent stalling. It's a year 2000 Astra 1.8 cdx 16v with just over 80k on the clock

I've cleaned out the throttle body which seems to have sorted out the erratic idle but then I started to get intermittent problem with random cut outs at low revs / idle or occasional big engine judder while driving (like the engine is trying to stall while i'm driving). When this happens I also get an engine warning light on the dash which usually goes away if you give the engine a good rev.

I read out the ecu fault code with the paper clip trick which gave me 0100 and 0110 which i believe it the mass air flow sensor and the intake air temperature sensor which i believe are in the same unit.

To test the mass air flow sensor I tried unplugging it and then driving the car. This solved the problem and the car drove fine.
Therefore i thought i should just replace the mass air flow sensor.
I bought a new sensor from my local motor factors (GSF Car parts) and fitted it myself. I then drove the car for about a mile with no problem and then the engine warning light comes on permanently and the engine is idling very rough, worse than with the old sensor. If i unplug the sensor then the car drives and idles fine again.

Do i need to get any sort of reprogramming or reset done when you fit a new mass air flow sensor? or is just replacing the sensor ok?

The sensor wasn't an original vauxhall one although it did come with 12month warranty, is it possible that the new sensor is already faulty?

Is it possible that the plug or wire itself is faulty and is there any way I can test that?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated?

Another question I have is that although i can read the fault codes using a paper clip i have been unable to clear the codes either by disconnecting the battery for an hour or turing the ignition on anfd off 30 times. On this model of astra do I need a code reader to clear the codes?

·
Registered
43 Posts
This sounds very like the problem I had a year or two ago, which turned out to be a faulty ecu. As I understand it this is a common fault on this engine due to the location of the ecu. I also replaced the MAF sensor to no avail and then paid a Vauxhall dealer £200 to diagnose the ecu as the villain of the piece.

I sent my ecu to ecu-testing.com who tested and repaired it for about £200 I think. If you can manage without the car for a few days (they turned mine round in 4 days), it may well be worth sending your ecu to them for testing. I wish that I'd done that, it would have saved me £200. If it isn't faulty, they will only charge a nominal testing fee.

Its probably a good idea to call them first to check that they can repair your particular ecu before sending it off though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.