Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 J series Astra 1.6 petrol. A16XER engine.

I have both oil and emulsion/ 'mayo' in my coolant. I have had the oil cooler and gasket replaced but it remains the same.

I seem to be getting some coolant in my oil too.

The car runs fine and the garage has done compression tests and water pressure tests and does not think the head gasket has gone.

Does anyone have an alternative solution?

I have read on the internet that the Front cover/ Timing cover GASKET could be the cause. Does coolant and oil run through the cover gasket???

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Grumpy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for replying so quickly. I have lost about half a litre since the oil cooler and gasket were changed about 2 weeks ago and I have not done many miles. At first my problem was oil and Mayo in my coolant tank. Recently the coolant has gone down and the oil level gone up. Have you any experience in changing the front cover/timing cover gasket to solve this issue?

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
The issue with the front cover gasket does not apply to your engine, it only apply's to the chain driven engines.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Is your oil looking normal or like milkshake you didnt say? Just that it had risen maybe there was residue from oil cooler failing in your pipes etc and may need a good flush

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The issue with the front cover gasket does not apply to your engine, it only apply's to the chain driven engines.
Thanks for your advice. I have had responses (not on this forum, however) to say that the front cover seal does have oil and waterways in it. I am confused, as the gasket does look like it seals some sort of passages in the upper portion. See image: 24405911 Genuine New Vauxhall Mokka Gasket Front Cover To Engine | eBay wouls appreciate your advice again, please.

Many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your oil looking normal or like milkshake you didnt say? Just that it had risen maybe there was residue from oil cooler failing in your pipes etc and may need a good flush
Thanks for your interest. The oil does look like it is taking in coolant, but it is not totally gone to 'Mayo' yet. The garage say that they did an extra lot of flushing after they fitted the new oil cooler and gasket. What has happen since this was done, is that I am now getting coolant in my oil (which I did not get before the oil cooler was changed) as well as getting BLOBS of oil in my coolant, as previously.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Thanks for your interest. The oil does look like it is taking in coolant, but it is not totally gone to 'Mayo' yet. The garage say that they did an extra lot of flushing after they fitted the new oil cooler and gasket. What has happen since this was done, is that I am now getting coolant in my oil (which I did not get before the oil cooler was changed) as well as getting BLOBS of oil in my coolant, as previously.

Thanks again.
You said the garage done a water pressure test did they do the chemical test to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you are correct, with the oil pump in close proximity to the coolant passage it would be possible to get oil in the coolant,.. this picture shows it better,... FRONT COVER,OIL PUMP AND WATER PUMP VAUXHALL ASTRA-J
Ahhh! That's reassuring news. I have been told (wrongly, it now appears) that it only applies to chain-driven models by some other people too, including the garage that changed the oil cooler. It seems from what you have discovered that this front cover gasket is a strong contender for the cause of the cross-leak, as long as the new oil cooler and gasket haven't failed in some way.
I do hope that changing the front cover gasket will solve it. The only other option I can think of is the head gasket, and to do that, this whole front cover and timing arrangement has to come off again !!! Scary!

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
Yes, i was under the assumption that it only applied to chain driven engines as i have never come across it before, you live and learn everyday in this trade,..(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said the garage done a water pressure test did they do the chemical test to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant?
Nope! I doubt if they are sophisticated enough to have the means of doing a chemical test. I will take your advise ask them tomorrow if they can in fact do one, as I can see that this would detect a leak between the coolant and the combustion chamber via the head gasket.
Thanks for your suggestion and kind help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts