Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you agree with it? Personally, I think it's wrong to field a whole team / squad full of Foreigners as it can't be good for the English game. Just think, if Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. were to follow suit then where would our national players come from? The Championship?

Alan Pardew has just commented about this too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4792270.stm

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
I think its healthy competition for English players to be honest. Look at the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry to name but a few, managers pick the best players, if they are English great, if they are foreign it shows our players to up their game to be in the team.

Makes sence to me, I think its very good personally, we have to fight and it only makes our players better.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
I think Alan Pardew is talking out of his arse. The reason for the influx of foreigners is cost.

Shaun Wright Philips - £22m vs Robin Van Persie £4m !

At the end of the day the club is representing itself and not the country.

I think we paid too much for Theo Walcock - £12m-£15m for a 16 year old is just insane in my book.

If clubs would pay the money that English "stars" are commanding alot of clubs would be going bankrupt.

Would this have come out though if Ashley Cole was fit, because he would have played ??

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
An interesting observation is that Spurs are doing much better now that we've got ourselves a few English players than a few years ago when we had more foreigners. Coincidence?

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Its swings and roundabouts Marc, if Theo turns out a gem like Rooney you'll have youreself a bargain, if he flops though it'll be Jeffers all over again :lmao:

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
scharatz said:
An interesting observation is that Spurs are doing much better now that we've got ourselves a few English players than a few years ago when we had more foreigners. Coincidence?
Yes the real reason for Spurs success is Martin Jol, he is a class manager in my book, he doesn't fall to the masses, if he did then he would be playing DeFoe every week!, and not Robbie Keane and Mido.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
Another comparison:

Thierry Henry £10m Vs Francis Jeffers £10m

That is another kind of cost comparison.

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
goonas-uk said:
Another comparison:

Thierry Henry £10m Vs Francis Jeffers £10m

That is another kind of cost comparison.
Don't forget though that you got Henry when he was playing a winger at Juventus. Badly.

He wouldn't cost £10m now.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
scharatz said:
Don't forget though that you got Henry when he was playing a winger at Juventus. Badly.

He wouldn't cost £10m now.
And Jeffers was no more than a bit part player for Everton, only played about 40-odd times.

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
goonas-uk said:
I think Alan Pardew is talking out of his arse. The reason for the influx of foreigners is cost.

Shaun Wright Philips - £22m vs Robin Van Persie £4m !

At the end of the day the club is representing itself and not the country.

I think we paid too much for Theo Walcock - £12m-£15m for a 16 year old is just insane in my book.

If clubs would pay the money that English "stars" are commanding alot of clubs would be going bankrupt.

Would this have come out though if Ashley Cole was fit, because he would have played ??
Personally I think Pardew has made some valid points. I'm not saying that because I'm a West Ham fan - it's something that's concerned me for a while now.

Yeah I agree, Ashley Cole would've played.... and so would a fit Sol Campbell?? But I think that's it as far as Arsenal's English Players are concerned?? I remember reading somewhere that Wenger does a lot of scouting on the Continent. Not sure why he doesn't do it over here instead? Maybe because they wouldn't understand the team talks ;)

Was Van Persie a big name before he joined Arsenal? If not, maybe that's why the price was lower than Wright-Phillips? This is just one example though - someone like Henry would probably go for £35-40 million at least.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Andy_H said:
Wasn't Henry almost unknown before he came to Arsenal though?
He wasnt as big as he is now by a long shot but he wasnt unknown.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
Andy_H said:
Personally I think Pardew has made some valid points. I'm not saying that because I'm a West Ham fan - it's something that's concerned me for a while now.

Yeah I agree, Ashley Cole would've played.... and so would a fit Sol Campbell?? But I think that's it as far as Arsenal's English Players are concerned?? I remember reading somewhere that Wenger does a lot of scouting on the Continent. Not sure why he doesn't do it over here instead?

Was Van Persie a big name before he joined Arsenal? If not, maybe that's why the price was lower than Wright-Phillips? This is just one example though - someone like Henry would probably go for £35-40 million at least.
Campbell I think would have played had he been match fit and his confidence was not questioned.

SWP was hardly a big name, both had equal standing probably made roughly the same number of international appearance etc etc, even if SWP has made more appearance is there an £18m price difference between them two players.

Wenger must do scouting over here to have got hold of Walcock, never heard of him before the talk of some 16 year old being signed for an extortioinate amount of money.

I think the more concerning thing is not Arsenal not playing non-English players it is Chelsea buying English players and not utilising them, i.e. buying players so other clubs do not get them. Take Joe Cole for example, as soon as chelsea bought him, they tried to ship him off to Turkey for a year, SWP I do not think has played a full 90 minutes for Chelsea since signing.

Remember Arsenal were in the running for Jermaine Jena but our £8m offer was not enough, Newcastle wanted £13m - he ended up signing for Spurs for £8m once they realised at the last minute he was not going to sell for £13m. We were also in the market for SWP, and looked like we would be prepared to pay £15m but Chelsea outpriced everyone.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
goonas-uk said:
SWP was hardly a big name, both had equal standing probably made roughly the same number of international appearance etc etc, even if SWP has made more appearance is there an £18m price difference between them two players.
This is Chelsea youre talking about though, they pay way over the odds for 90% of their players, dont think any other club in the world bar maybe Real Madrid would have paid 22million for SWP.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
LSI said:
This is Chelsea youre talking about though, they pay way over the odds for 90% of their players, dont think any other club in the world bar maybe Real Madrid would have paid 22million for SWP.

That's the point though isnt it, we are being criticised for not playing or buying any English players... but we do not have billions at our disposal and have the ability to actually run a loss of £140m per year.

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point about Chelsea. I didn't know they tried to send Cole away.... but I've noticed SWP rarely seems to get a game and after they'd bought Scott Parker from Charlton they never really gave him a decent chance to impress before leaving him out of the first team and then off-loading him :rolleyes:

They do play Lampard, Terry and Cole (now) on a regular basis though and all will be key players in the England World Cup Squad.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
That is true.

But even Chelsea have their limits of buying for the sake of it, as I said before competition is good but at Chelsea maybe there is too much competition.

I always get the feeling they are trying to be Real Madrid in some aspects

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
Andy_H said:
They do play Lampard, Terry and Cole (now) on a regular basis though and all will be key players in the England World Cup Squad.
I couldn't agree more, Cole only got played because he refused to go to Turkey. Lampard and Terry are exceptional players, and great they are English.

If the cost of English players was lower I am sure Wenger would have bought some and gone through the development route he has used in turning unknown players into world stars.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Andy_H said:
Good point about Chelsea. I didn't know they tried to send Cole away.... but I've noticed SWP rarely seems to get a game and after they'd bought Scott Parker from Charlton they never really gave him a decent chance to impress before leaving him out of the first team and then off-loading him :rolleyes:

Parker was bought under the reign of Ranieri (Sp?) and Im sure he wantd him as a squad player not just a signing for the hell of it, but Parker didnt really get his shot with Mourinho, and moved on.... sensible decision I think too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts