Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 96 1.8 vectra runs fine but the abs kicks in bad at low speeds! even when pulling up at traffic lights.

Could this be the actual ABS unit (under the bonnet) as i have had the 2 front sensors tested and they are reading ok. Is there any on the back wheels as these are Hubs, also what else can i do to find a fault with the ABS unit under bonnet and has any of you guys had this problem with ABS.

MOT time for me in a month so need to sort this as ABS light isnt on all the time put does light when this problem occures, and im worried that it will light when they do the brake test for the MOT.

Also a bit off topic but my CAT smells of egg (the cat on the car:lmao: ) is this a sign that this is on its way out.

Cheers Guys - hope your cars arent giving you to much greif.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
for the abs problem i would check the cv joints for a cracked sensor ring or even a tooth broken off 1 of them , a mate of mine had the same abs problem on a cav & that was a broken tooth on the abs ring.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is a broken tooth expensive to fix

thanks for the advice - why would a broken tooth cause so much trouble with the abs?

is it expensive to put right if it is a broken off tooth.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
if it is a broken tooth then it is a new cv joint,they are not very expensive from vauxhall or a factors,a broken tooth or rusty teeth would fool the sensor into thinking that a wheel has locked up so activates the abs,if the sensor sees "flat spots" then that could be read as a wheel not turning

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think ive found ABS Problem with your help (please read)

Think ive got the problem found regarding abs i have looked at the teeth and there is a crack and a few bent teeth!!! would this be my problem also the other side is ok but rusty and a few teeth are bit bent. Is replacing this part quite easy or do you have to have special tools and would you replace both sides.

I wanted to upload an image but cant work out how to do it but hope this gives you an idea of what i mean.

Thanks

Justin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cav TD gls: when you say easier to by cv joint from motor factors is this the whole unit to make fitting easier. and roughly how much are they and would you do both sides.

Cheers again

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cav TD gls.. i have emailed you a picture of my CV joint with the teeth bent etc for you to verify that this may be my problem

Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
i would say it is the problem from looking at the pic , cv joints are about £40 or were for the cav with abs & the vectra 1 is probably near enough the same.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for this Cav TD gls. It is loose - would you do both sides and is it easier to get garage to do them. or do you need special tools

Thanks for the help

Justin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got more problems that i thought wouldnt have

Went to replace the cv joint but didnt have the right socket so ended up taking it to garage. which cost £30

But the problem is still there not as much but every now and then, the garage scanned the car using a snap on scanner (mt2500) to clear the codes then they told me to go back the following day to have it rescanned after the light kept comming on now and the scanner picked up the following faults after they had cleared the codes the privious day...

Broken Tooth Ring (i already replaced the front on which was clearly cracked)

Rear left abs sensor weak signal (i cleaned the electrical conecter on this sensor but did not cure)

I have been told that the rear sensor is a nightmare to do as it means stripping out all the hub and they dont usually give any trouble.

Im worrired that i have another abs tooth ring fault that may be on the back wheels (inside the hub) but the scanner will not show or tell which tooth ring is to blame, i have looked at the other front tooth ring but cant see anything wrong apart from the teeth are worn (like flat looking)

What a nightmare thought by replacing the front CV joint that had the cracked tooth would cure my ABS nightmare - now i have 2 other things.

Is there some way of finding out which tooth is broken (on the back wheels)

Thanks for all your help

Justin

·
Registered
56 Posts
my abs light came on my vectra 1.6 16v after i took the wheel off to look for an oil leak then i put the wheel on and the abs light stayed on it was ok b4 i took the damn wheel

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi roger - they are certainly picky, perhaps you have a faulty front sensor. its a pain in the neck now that the mot is more strict now its all computerised.

let us know if you sort yours out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi all i did was take the wheel off so i could get a better view to see where the oil leak was i did see a little rust on the cv joint and removed it then i put the wheel on started the engine to see if the oil leak would show but it didnt and the abs light came on and stayed on. so pass i dont know what ive done

1 - 16 of 16 Posts