Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4624940505

Always known Mintex to be a respectable brand, I've used their "fast road" pads a few times and never had any problems with them.

Seems a bloody good price, especially considering there's no-one near me with Trade Club. The ad says 1999> but am I correct in assuming they'll be the same as my 1998 MV6 with 296mm discs and the later style pads with the hole in them which look like mine in their diagram.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Beware of the company in the Midlands on eBay selling these for £50+

I bought a rear pair, and they sent out odd disc's. Twice.! Caused no end of grief as my car wass up on ramps in a garage when we found out.

The company wouldn't replace them, and the refund too 2 months to come through, but only because i we constantly calling them, only to be fobbed off, and told lies to.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up, but I think you probably had dealings with a different company.

This mob are in Manchester, and they have 3679 positive feedback and not a single negative. Which is actually quite an achievement with so many transactions cos even if you do everything right it's so easy for one twat to tarninsh your feedback because his item didn't arrive the same day etc. So their service should be quite good.

The set is £60 + £11 postage so £71 all-in which I don't see as being too cheap to be true. There are much cheaper discs + pads out there, just that I wouldn't trust them on a Ford Fiesta let alone a heavy Omega. Mintex are a brake brand I recognise and trust.

If I don't get any "stay away if you value your life" comments before tomorrow I'll probably order a set and book the car in for next weekend.

BTW They also have 1 year / 15,000 mile warranty so at least if they warp I should be able to get a new set. Not that I expect them to, never heard of probs with Mintex stuff.

Paul.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi paul m

Ive got a trade club card and would be more than wiling to post the disks and pads to you for the price i pay.

The pads and disks are £64.40 plus VAT plus P&P

Let me know

R

·
0 Posts
No. Crap.

ONLY buy original Vauxhall discs/pads. Don't trust your brakes to Mr Blobbys discount happy shopper no returns shop.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've posted about my pattern part discs a few times, fitted last June. Warped in a couple of months. Replaced under warranty, warped again. Skimmed, but recently warped again.

In addition to them warping, they also seemed to lack 'bite', which I'm sure Laidback66 will confirm when he took it for a spin last Saturday...

Admittedly, these were a no-name brand. The previous Vx ones hadn't warped. Guess what i will be putting on next time?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
andy8 said:
Hi paul m

Ive got a trade club card and would be more than wiling to post the disks and pads to you for the price i pay.

The pads and disks are £64.40 plus VAT plus P&P

Let me know
Thanks for the offer, but I think by the time we add on postage it won't be far shy of £100 which is approaching retail.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see what the big obsession with VX parts is. I can guarantee that neither VX nor GM manufacture their brake discs/pads, it'll be one of the well known brake companies such as ATE or Lucas (who also make the calipers). As an example my BMW uses Brembo brakes, so when it came time to replace the discs I went straight to Brembo (or rather a company selling Brembo parts) and bought higher spec discs for less than the BMW price. Work a treat.

I agree completely about the "no brand" stuff you can buy easily, but I don't really see the argument against all non-VX stuff. Undoubtedly there's stuff out there that's better than the OE stuff, you just have to know what you're looking for. I've used Mintex parts on a WRX with much higher performance than a 3.0 Omega (and it was actually driven like a performance car when conditions permitted whereas the Omega is neither a performance car nor will it be driven like one) and been more than happy with them.

I don't mean to sound ignorant of people's advice ;) but really you're going to have to give me a more compelling argument than "all non-VX branded stuff is crap"... otherwise you'd better go and tell the guys in the BTCC that their AP Racing stuff is crap and that the local dealer can get a much better performing brake setup on there :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TheBoy said:
I've posted about my pattern part discs a few times, fitted last June. Warped in a couple of months. Replaced under warranty, warped again. Skimmed, but recently warped again.
Personally I wouldn't skim discs at all, once they're shot just bin them. High chance the "warp" will come back, because it's not actually warped at all, rather it's material deposits on the surface that results in hot spots which then actually change the metal structure and hence the "hardness" of the disc material at that point.

This is an old but a very good, informative article. Have a read:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Paul M said:
I don't see what the big obsession with VX parts is. I can guarantee that neither VX nor GM manufacture their brake discs/pads, it'll be one of the well known brake companies such as ATE or Lucas (who also make the calipers).
This is true – and yes you can buy any OE parts directly from Bosch, Ate, Lucas, Delphi, Brembo, Girling, etc… I don’t think anyone is saying that only Vx-boxed parts will do the job. The point is that with Vauxhall there are many parts where there is simply no point to buy anything else – the Vx branded item just does the job properly, and costs the same or less then after-market parts.

A point in case is the spark plugs. I searched high and low, checked NGK (which are my personal favourites), Champion, and Bosch. Well Vx quad-electrode spark plug is rated by Vx as good for 80k(!), and while I intend to change mine at 40k, the general opinion in these forums is that no-one ever experienced any serious problems with Vx spark plugs even if they ran over 40k. The Vx spark plugs are actually Bosch, and Vx don’t even try to hide it as the original Bosch Part Number is stamped on the plug. But curiously, while all four-electrode ‘high-performance’ plugs from main-brand OE manufacturers cost £7-£8 each (yes, including the Bosch that carries the same Part Number as stamped on the Vx plug), I paid £4 Retail each for the Vx plugs at Vx Dealer, which works out as £24 per six - and you can get them on eBay for £15. So who in his right mind would buy an identical Bosch for double the price just to avoid having the Vx logo on it???

This goes also for disks and pads… there is no harm in getting quality-branded after market item, but the original ones are very reliable, and reasonably priced, so why would you want to bend over backwards and buy the OE items directly from the manufacturer if there is no significant saving to be had….?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The other thing to bear in mind is brake pads and discs is an area where the the counterfeiters have made an absolute killing. This nearly put Ferodo out of business. I see no problem in buying non Vauxhall parts from reputable companies like Lucas, Girling etc. Just make sure they are genuine. The only way to do that is to buy from a trusted and known source. Where better to flog dangerous counterfeit crap then on ebay to gullible punters trying to save a few quid.

R

·
0 Posts
I normally use pattern parts for most jobs. However, when it comes to brakes I insist on original parts because my life depends on it.

You could argue that the same applies to gaskets, drop links etc, but brakes are the only thing between me and that 38 tonner. I don't want a refund when my laegs have been amputated. I would rather stop!

In addition, I have used 4 makes of rocker gaskets on the V6 recently. 3 pattern kits and one original kit. The 3 pattern gaskets did not fit correctly and I ended up with leaks. The original one fitted like a glove and doesn't leak.

That said cambelt kits I use Contitech, which is not original. No problems with them.

It is difficult to say for sure, but original discs seem to be better than pattern ones on this car.

Hope this helps.

L

·
0 Posts
TheBoy said:

In addition to them warping, they also seemed to lack 'bite', which I'm sure Laidback66 will confirm when he took it for a spin last Saturday...

Admittedly, these were a no-name brand. The previous Vx ones hadn't warped. Guess what i will be putting on next time?
I think if I described your brakes as "lacking bite" I would be understating it a little!:eh

If that is an example of non genuine, then I am sticking with Vx ones! :lmao:

Paul, I would say go for the Vx ones but I can see your mind is made up. :)

·
Banned
175 Posts
With Brakes and tyres i will only buy good stuff however i think you must avoid being sucked into this "Main Dealer" only where safety is concerned.

I recently sold my Saab 9000 2.3 manual Aero which was a far faster car than any Omega ( check the figures).
It needed new Discs and pads just before Christmas. I contacted the Saab dealer and visited the doctor shortly afterwards as i wasn't seated at the time of being given the price.
The OE discs fitted to my car were Brembo who are well respected manufacturers. As a result of asking on the Saab owners club site i rang German and Swedish who offered pattern discs cheaply and Brembo discs at just over half the price i was quoted by Saab FOR THE SAME ITEM!
I fitted Pagid fast road pads and the brakes were superb , at least a match for what the car was supplied with but in all probability better.
I would have thought that Mintex Discs and Pads would be absolutely fine for an Omega especially if you are buying them from a reputable supplier, even though they dont come in a VX box.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input guys. I completely see where you're coming from with regards to buying "original" parts when the cost is similar to good aftermarket parts. However I think you guys are going on the assumption that I'd be buying with Trade Club at £64+VAT = £75. Unfortunately I don't have a card, nor does anyone in this area as far as I know. So that means realistically I'll be paying a minimum of £100+VAT = £117.50. An increase of over £40 for what is the same parts. Yes the VX parts are good value, if you're paying TC prices and therefore bypassing the dealer's rediculous markup. The only reason they can get away with such uncompetetive prices is that there are so many people who think the dealer is the only acceptable place to buy items such as brake parts.

If I had a TC card then no doubt I'd be down the local dealer buying a set of discs & pads. But I don't therefore I'm considering other options. As for counterfeits, I have a fair idea of what to look for in that regard, and I'll only be buying from a retailer that gives me a good impression - i.e. for an eBay vendor a decent level of feedback with very few or no negatives, and a history of selling significant quantities of the same type of product.

As I said above I put Brembo parts on my BMW and the brakes on that make the Omega brakes feel about as powerful as those on airport luggage trolleys. OK so they're 330mm discs front & rear with 4-pot calipers, but I'd definitely say they're better than they were when I bought the car, fantastic bite when you stand on them.

I'll let you know how it goes when I decide which route to take ;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mintex are a bloody good brake disk, much better than Vauxhall ones, if they are good enough for Rally cars they're good enough for me. I agree that some cheap disks are not up to standard compared to the Vauxhall ones but Mintex are a performance part not some cheap s***. I'd use mintex or ebc brake pads as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My point entirely, Mintex are a well known, respected brand. No comparison to no-name stuff that most motor factors will sell you if you don't specify a specific brand.

Not so sure about EBC stuff though, they work well enough but I've had a previous case where the friction material fell away from the backing plate on removing the pad, and heard of it happening to several others also. That was a while ago so things may have changed since. Only had good experiences with Mintex pads though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts