Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Thanks guys, for other visitors - it's not compatible :)
Edit 2: Upon trying to replace the cylinder, I uncovered a myriad of other problems. I took the car into a mechanics and it turns out those cast cylinders ARE compatible.

Tl;dr: Replacing brake cylinders, old one looks like this, I ordered these - are they compatible?

Hi everyone!

I need to replace the rear passenger side brake cylinder, and after a bit of research I've figured out how to do it. I've ordered two of these (going to change both sides at the same time because equality) and once I opened everything up and got to the brake cylinder, it appears to look like this one.

I checked the compatibility in the descriptions of both products and they both claim to be compatible. I would like to know if the ones I have already ordered would still work as a replacement, since it doesn't appear to be the same. If I can't be sure, I will of course return them and get the ones that appear identical, however since I already have two of the seemingly different ones, I might aswell fit them if they are correct for the car.

Thanks in advance!
Michael.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
will not fit as yours are ally ones not cast,you need to fit same as come off as the back plate is only for ally ones.

·
15,401 Posts
The mounting bolt holes are in a different place so they are not interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
The cast ones have 2 mounting holes to make them more a universal fit for different models.
The aluminium ones have only one mounting hole so you have to make sure the one you are ordering has the mounting hole in the same place as your existing one.

The cast ones are heavier but tend to be less expensive to buy.

I don't understand how the back plate makes any difference to the type of metal the brake cylinder is made of?
As long as the holes all line up either type can be used in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts