Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictures will follow;

Got fed up waiting for my mate to sort the gearbox,(see thread posted ages ago "MV6 gearbox problem")

Drove the car up the ramps in the garage, jacked up the back end and the car promptly rolled down the ramp and stuffed the towball into the roller shutter.

What a numpty :shake :shake

Jacked it up properly, drained the oil, took the main sump off and oil filter.

can now see the 2nd/3rd gear change solonoid, this is held in by a roll pin, tugged at it with some pliers then decided that the bottom section has to come off and knock the retaining pin out from the top.

13 :eh bolts later the section is free and about a pint and a half of oil piddles out, collects all the oil in a tray,as with oil from sump removal.

tips oil out of gearbox bit and a steel ball rolls out(OH F*CK) where did that come from :crying_2: Knocks out the pin and replaces the solonoiod.

Long story short, sorted out by evidence of the ball seating chamfers on the sandwich plate that there should be 4 steel balls (non-return valves) in this part of the box, 1 trapped under the plate and 3 above.

Lost 1 so had to buy 1 the same size from my local bearing supplier.

Tomorrow I will be putting it back together, filling it up and crossing my fingers.

"IF" it works, I may well drag the car to the midlands meet

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bits in colour.

Correct valve position for assembly

Ball bearing (valves on sandwiched plate
[

Dirty bit

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put 5 litres of oil in so far, getting 2 more tomorrow.

I'll also post pics of my "coded" sump's :lmao:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Coded" sumps!!

Ready to fit

On the car

Added a 6th litre of oil, still not enough so will be collecting 2 more bottles in the morning.

Drove the car out in manual for a couple of miles, to the car wash. When I restarted the car, I got automatic gears(as in no "Check automatic gearbox")

So far so good :Cool2:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Biggest fear was the steel balls, I only ever found 3.

The condition of everything did not lead me to think anyone else had had it in bits recently although a repair haad been made to the small sump which had taked a right p*sser and then been braized up.

It may be that it needed the run to fill everything up properly, whenthe autobox started working it was real smooth :bananasmi

So the next few days will tell all

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/QUOTE=laidback66]Not so sure about the white sumps though... ;)[/QUOTE]

As they were off and being cleaned, I though why not, the sh*t won't stick to them so easily and it makes everything brighter to work on :Cool2:

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
Take my hat off to you mate :Cool2:

The last time I stripped a gearbox was about 12 years ago. A five speed MKII. Stripped 2nd gear while wheel spinning, just got to take your time and be methodical :Cool2: :Cool2:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stripping a manual gearbox isn't so bad but an auto box?? Thats a different novel! Drop the gearbox from under the car, it'll make it a lot easier

L

·
0 Posts
Working on either would frighten the hell out of me! But hey, that's me being a non mechanic! ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update,

Drove round a bit after the rebuild, same problem, sometimes the car starts in limp home mode other times it starts as normal, with auto drive functioning.

So starts looking at the selector switch, gets a quote from local C D Brammels, comes in at £210 + vat. :eh NOT IMPRESSED.

removes switch tonight, dismantles it cleans out all the shite and grease then tests all the plug pins through to the circuit board. they all bell out OK, so it may not be that. re-installs, made sure to waggle all the other plugs on the gearbox but the fault is still there :( "Automatic Gearbox" "check"

Does the paper clip test to check the fault codes and all I get is "31" engine not running.

Q. Is there a different place to read the gearbox codes or is that it?

Q. Did I replace the right solonoid valve, the Vaux bod said the 2nd-3rd gear solonoid is item 17 on the EPC diagram (the one furthest from the corner on the gearbox plate in the picture above).

running out of ideas (and bits to dismantle)

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can not get transmission fault code by paper clipping which only provides engine codes.
Both 2-3 and 1-2/3-4 solenoid are identical, marked "224", made by Eaton (ETN) .
People told me that if it "limps" right, D(4) 3(4) 2(3) 1(1), both hydro and mechanical are mostly free of fault, like Paul said... Don't know... Coz my 97 MV6 still not gets ride of "Automatic Gearbox" , It has been 3 weeks already....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
End of an era...(sorry SAGA)

If you see this

and BEFORE you do this

or this

CHECK THIS

If this plug is not inserted and the locking ring rotated correctly your gearbox will go into "limp " mode.

now that it's sorted I have a V6 3.0 that goes like a bloody train :bananasmi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts