Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Likes this.
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a phone call from Keith (fluffsri) asking if I could post up a question for him.

He's bought a strut brace for the Vectra but doesn't know which way you need to adjust it to fit it.

Does it need to be adjusted "out" so it pushes the struts away from each other, or "in" so it brings them closer together.

Or not at all, just adjust it so it fits properly over the struts each side and leave it at that?

He's had differing opinions from people he's asked and no instructions came with the strut brace.

Any help gratefully received :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it were me (and in the absence of better advice) I would adjust it so that it fitted properly.... not pulling or pushing anything in/out.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
samwise said:
If it were me (and in the absence of better advice) I would adjust it so that it fitted properly.... not pulling or pushing anything in/out.

Ditto that :up: Thats what the adjuster is for, to ensure correct fittment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its Best To Fit A Strut Brace To A Car When Theirs No Pressure Pushing Upwards On The Suspension. In Other Words With The Car Off The Ground. Jack The Car Up At The Front Untill Both Wheels Are Off The Ground. Then Fit The Strut Brace Adjusting It So That Pressure Is Pushing Out Towards The Both Suspension Legs. Lower The Car And Take It For A Drive. You Should Notice The Car Turning In Alot Better. To Get The Best From A Brace It Really Has To Be Welded To The Suspension Turrets With No Threads Anywhere On The Brace. This Stops Any Flex That Can Happen With Threaded Type Braces. Check Out Any Rally Car And You Won't See A Threaded Brace Just Solid Ones Welded. Your Threaded One Will Work Fine For Fast Road. Hope This Helps!

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,788 Posts
I'll get a mod to move this to the correct area Steve....................

·
Likes this.
11,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan Gliballs said:
I'll get a mod to move this to the correct area Steve....................
Listen you jumped up little f*ckwit, it's a generic question which could be related to any paritcular model, or indeed marque (except Ford, 'cos we don't do that sh*t on here).

I'd advise you to keep your thoughts to yourself in future.

:p :lmao:

·
Big Ugly Scots Bloke
544 Posts
just a thought here. couldnt you use a strut brace like this to adjust the camber on the front wheels aswel. ie get it lowered to were you want it and check the camber then put the brace on and couldnt you bring the strut in or out to correct the camber aswel as make the front stronger?

·
Because...Race Car!
19,083 Posts
The correct way to fit a strutbrace is to jack the car up in the middle allowing the car to flex, fit the brace and wind out till the slack is taken up, then when the car is lowered the brace keeps the car in a stiffened position and not allowing any flex.

·
Banned
3,233 Posts
I've alway had my braces fitted with the car sitting on totally level ground. A few weeks later I have always had to re-tighten the nuts.

Steve, I would imagine having the car sitting level, and expanding the bar outwards untill it's tight. However if you want the definite answer post the question on the whiteline forums below.

http://www.suspensionparts.info/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts