Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

anyone any ideas on this.

1K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Barloue 
#1 ·
hey guys and gals need a little help on this one. got my own ideas on this from what i been seeing around here but will throw it out to you all and see what you all think it is.

when driving occasionally the engine management light (eml) will come on and stay on. now not too worried about this at the moment as it is not happening all the time just say 2 times out of every 10 that io drive the car.

when the light comes on i lose power above the 3500 rpm area. normally this would be the point at were the car starts to perform but when light is on you can feel it sort of "drag" along as if it is trying to get there but something is stopping it.

so anyone any idea on this and how easy (cheap) this would be to fix.

thanks and looking forward to your replys.

cheers . john

#3 ·
okey dokey. would maybe need a hint or a diagram on where to look for these as im clueless on looking for certain parts. point it out and give em the stuff to do it and no probs but ask me to find it and duuuuuhhhhh i say :lmao:

so if you could let me know where i am looking for this it would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Barloue said:
when the light comes on i lose power above the 3500 rpm area. normally this would be the point at were the car starts to perform but when light is on you can feel it sort of "drag" along as if it is trying to get there but something is stopping it.
John,

This is 'limp mode'

The ECU has detected a fault and to hopefully preserve the engine from any major damage... switches into limp mode so u can get to a safe place to stop/home etc... :Cool2:

could be an air leak/faulty sensor etc...

doing the paper clip test would help diagnose the fault, from the codes flashed up u could narrow the problem down to a specific area.

#9 ·
Shorting the pins makes it flash out any codes stored at any time, so if the light's previously been on for more than 30 secs it's got a code stored!

#10 ·
Barloue said:
much appreciated guys. so will this only work when the light is on first as when i first start the car the light goes off and only comes on after a while. once it is on turn the ignition off and on and light goes out again. or will this do it regardless.
U place the paper clip in the correct pins with the ignition off, then when ready sit in the car, turn on ignition and watch the EML light flash out the codes and write em down. :Cool2:

#19 ·
right i done the test today and it is VERY VERY easy to do just looks confusing. so as i said done it and got this fault.

16. Knock signal circuit - no voltage change

thats it nothing else came up. so how easy/hard is this to sort and what do i need and how do it do it.

( i know not asking much huh) might aswel ask for someone to come do it for me too :lmao:

#21 ·
Barloue said:
so anyone know how to fix this fault 16 then?
It could be one of two things...
  1. Knock Sensor is knackered!
  2. The loom from the sensor to the rest of the car loom is breaking down/damaged.
Solutions...
  1. Remove sensor and clean, if no joy... Buy a new sensor and replace.
  2. check the loom and replace any damaged sections
Both of these can be done at the same time... Remove sensor and clean, plus check wiring.
hth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.