Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna do the timing belt ,water pump and thermostat ..and new crankshaft bolt...Any one got any tips on locking the camshaft sprocket or know if there is a cheap tool anywhere..This is for a i.6 8v astra,i know the hanynes manual shows you the tool but trouble is i don't have the right bits to make one..Any help appreciated..:D

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,919 Posts
Never heard of a cam locking tool being required for a single cam engine . . unless there's a twin-cam 8V engine out there??

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,886 Posts
Hi no locking tool required - just line up the marks
if you need the info then pm me
cheers
Steve

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
Don't bother - camshaft locking tool isn't necessary even on 16v engines - just make sure that all the alignment marks are aligned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there not a place on the camshaft that you can use a spanner??
Yeah if i take off the camshaft cover and fit a spanner on the camshaft...Just thought it might have been on really tight ,but if taking off the cover and using a spanner on the camshaft then i'm sorted...will the seal on the camshaft cover be ok to reuse..Cheers guys for the quick response :D

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
yes there is if you remove the rocker cover..I just loosened mine with old belt in place by using a socket and breaker bar and a swift hit with the palm of my hand,job done
That would work too,,,
Just thought it was off,, if you dont want to take it off then dont ;)
The seal will re-use again, if its not too bad ;)

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,886 Posts
Hi you are talking about a fly wheel locking tool - not required - the crank pulley has a woodruff key and so doesn't turn - as said undo it then set the timing
cheers
Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi i have not had the chance to do the timing belt,water pump and thermostat yet due to the weather...

Before i do i just wanna check a few things that i wanna clear up...

I was gonna drain the cooling system,remove upper timin belt cover .. set to TDC, jack up the car on stands and remove front wheel and remove aux drive belt..put my trolley jack under the engine with some wood to spread the load ..Then remove the crankshaft pully retaining bolt (will putting the car in 5th and have some one apply the front breaks firmly be enough to undo the retaining bolt ? just read that you have to be careful if the bolt is really tight.)

Then remove the right hand engine mount bracket and lower timing belt cover...After that i was gonna undo the camshaft sprocket bolt while the belt is still on ,(will this undo the bolt without turning the camshaft sprocket ? will the belt stop this happening ?)

Once that is done i was gonna release the timing belt tensioner and lock it into position and check all timin marks are still aligned and then undo the coolant pump bolts and rotate the pump to release the tension on the belt,what is best tool to turn the pump with to relieve the tension,then i would remove the belt and tensioner ...

After i have fitted the coolant pump and rear cover and come to put the camshaft sprocket back on and try and tighten the retaining bolt on the camshaft what is the best way to stop the sprocket from turning as the belt would be off ? would i be better with the camshaft cover off and hold the camshaft with a spanner while i tighten it up? also when i fit the crankshaft retaining bolt on temporarily to rotate the crankshaft through to complete turns (obviously the belt will be on by then) when i come to tighten up the crankshaft i will have to use the same method as removal ...
Not sure sure if i have confused any of you guys as i have not detailed all what needs doing but was just checking a few things to see if i'm half way there lol.Thanks in advance.

p.s is this place good to get the parts i need http://www.autovaux.co.uk/ cheers

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,886 Posts
HI don't worry - the 8 valve engine isn't one where a small movement is going to cause any damage - as already posted set the timing and then undo the bolts for the crank and cam - both sprockets are pinned and you can reset the timing after they are loose if required - the cam and crank very rarely move after the belt is off you will need a flywheel locking tool if you haven't got a windy gun - the crank needs to be re torqued after and the cam you just need a spanner on the flats inside the rocker cover
cheers
Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.