Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law reminded me yesterday that he still hasn't serviced the Mondeo 1.8 Zetec he bought in March 2004, 23,000 miles later. He's apparently only had the bonnet opened once in that time..... and that was by the AA. We checked it today and there was just a small blob of very black oil on the dip stick, so we topped it up with some fresh oil. Is there likely to be trouble brewing??
 

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
Joined
·
8,417 Posts
Sounds very stupid to leave it that long . My Dad's mates 1.8LX Mondeo missed a service and covered similar miles but nothing wrong with it .
 

·
Likes this.
Joined
·
11,139 Posts
People like that make me sick. They're the sort of people that deserve to have their car break down on them, yet sod's law says that it never will :rolleyes:

He's probably caught it just in time, although I doubt the oil was doing much in the way of lubricating seeing it's so old and so low. May have caused some premature engine wear but it probably won't be noticed until the mileage gets higher (ie. some other poor sod buys it).
 

·
VXON's mini owner
Joined
·
485 Posts
sounds like he caught it just in time, it'll be a few years down the line when someone else is scratching his head as to why the engine hasnt made 100k:rolleyes:
 

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
Joined
·
4,816 Posts
Just make sure he changes the oil and filter. Suggest he changes the air filter as that should improve his fuel consumption if it is blocked. Brakes could be on their last legs. Think about your sister's safety whilst in it.

Didn't he even have to put windscreen washer fluid in. Those Fords must have big reservoirs!
 

·
97% Mechanic
Joined
·
6,644 Posts
lol, serviced my father in law to be ford fiesta finesse 53 plate, only had 20,000 miles on it but glad i serviced it, hate to be servicing that
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car's still going, but didn't sound to heathy when I went in it last weekend. It look a minute or two to get it started..... but he always runs it on low fuel / fumes though, so could this be causing the problem?

SteveW said:
May have caused some premature engine wear but it probably won't be noticed until the mileage gets higher (ie. some other poor sod buys it).
Whoever buys it next will be buying it as a spares / repair ;)
 

·
8v Power!
Joined
·
10,748 Posts
heavily service it, fuel 'er up and give her a long run...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
Ford's own oil (15/40)and filter will be less than £20 The Zetec Synthetic 5/30 is about £15 which is a good price, new sump washer and plug may help! Then I would offer to help (£) him do it.......Its cheap insurance.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
FFS a £5 gallon of oil's much preferable to just leaving that old **** in there.
Struggling financially is no reason to potentially endanger peoples lives by driving an unroadworthy car.
Bet the tyres haven't been looked at in all that time either by the sounds of the bloke.
Reckon a service would be cheaper than buying and fitting a new engine too.
Then there's a new cat if it's been running below par. Just false economy.
 

·
8v Power!
Joined
·
10,748 Posts
CallyT said:
FFS a £5 gallon of oil's much preferable to just leaving that old **** in there.
Struggling financially is no reason to potentially endanger peoples lives by driving an unroadworthy car.
Bet the tyres haven't been looked at in all that time either by the sounds of the bloke.
Reckon a service would be cheaper than buying and fitting a new engine too.
Then there's a new cat if it's been running below par. Just false economy.
Morrisons £2.99 stuff would do the job for a little while, £2.50 for a filter - job jobbed.

Whats the brakes & tyres like as has been mentioned just there?

I have to wonder if moneys so tight is it even taxed / insured - sorry but the thought it crossing my mind
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Andy_H said:
Yes, I can assure you it is taxed, MOT'd and insured - he's a decent bloke and wouldn't break the law :Cool2:
So other than under the bonnet the car is 100% roadworthy? I seriously doubt it from how you've described it and him.
:Cool2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CallyT said:
Struggling financially is no reason to potentially endanger peoples lives by driving an unroadworthy car.
Bet the tyres haven't been looked at in all that time either by the sounds of the bloke.
Reckon a service would be cheaper than buying and fitting a new engine too.
Then there's a new cat if it's been running below par. Just false economy.
I agree about the false economy bit, but just because it hasn't been serviced doesn't make it unroadworthy - it does have a valid MOT afterall. The tyres are all legal as far as I know, although the pressure's probably haven't been checked for a while.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Andy_H said:
I agree about the false economy bit, but just because it hasn't been serviced doesn't make it unroadworthy - it does have a valid MOT afterall. The tyres are all legal as far as I know, although the pressure's probably haven't been checked for a while.
Mot only means it was roadworthy on that day. Also the mot and police use different rules - Police use use and construction.
Brakes are a servicable item, if his front pads have lasted 23K+ he's done better than I ever have :lmao:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top