Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alarm on my Astra set itself off at 5-30am today, much to my annoyance (and my neighbours I expect). Just the horn was sounding at first, but the power sounder joined in after a while.

When I went out to turn it off, I noticed that the LED was flashing after locking up, rather than staying on for 10 seconds. I locked car without setting the alarm by pushing the driver's door pin down from the rear door to avoid a repeat performance. As I got back indoors, the power sounder warbled for a few seconds as if in defiance, and then all was quiet for the rest of the night.

Since then the LED has sometimes flashed and sometimes stayed on as its meant to for 10 seconds after the doors are locked.

I know from reading other posts here that the power sounder usually seems to be the villain of the piece, but I had a new one fitted only a couple of years ago.

Is there anything else that I can check? Has anyone else else known the power sounder to sound even if the alarm is not set set?

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi do you get any beeps from it ? i have to say 99% of the time it is the power sounder but always check the door switches and boot switch and include any alarmed windows too
regards
Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi do you get any beeps from it ? i have to say 99% of the time it is the power sounder but always check the door switches and boot switch and include any alarmed windows too
regards
Steve
No, there's no beeps, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when and for how long the sounder sounds. The door switches all bring on the courtesy light, but how can I check the tailgate and bonnet switches?

As I understand it, the sounder has to be coded to the vehicle - does this have to be done by by Vauxhall dealer? The last time I had it changed, the dealer near to where I work charged me £44 for the parts which was ok, but another £140 for diagnosis & fitting! This I feel was outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm posted this before (and bored everyone no doubt) but perhaps it's worth checking - especially if you've had garage activity...

Anyway, see my contribution in: http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=129658
Thanks, it's worth bearing in mind, but I don't really want to go poking around under the wheel arch with the car just on the flimsy jack supplied with the car, and I don't have anything better. It was scary enough when I had a puncture recently and had to change the wheel!

It's just occurred to me that I left the battery disconnected for a few days last week while my ECU was off for repair - perhaps that killed the battery in the sounder?

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi yes it would have because the sounder battery is rechargable i take it you haven't been out in the car then i think it only charges up when the engine is running my local vx charges £20 and thats it for the power sounder for tech 2 reset
regards
Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi yes it would have because the sounder battery is rechargable i take it you haven't been out in the car then i think it only charges up when the engine is running my local vx charges £20 and thats it for the power sounder for tech 2 reset
regards
Steve
I've done a hundred miles or so since then, but maybe it takes more than that to recharge fully. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes over the next few days. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Thanks, it's worth bearing in mind, but I don't really want to go poking around under the wheel arch with the car just on the flimsy jack supplied with the car, and I don't have anything better. It was scary enough when I had a puncture recently and had to change the wheel!
A bit awkward I know, but I fixed mine without jacking the car. Perhaps I'm a bit slim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts