Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had my suspicions when I parked the car up after collecting it in December,it stunk of burnt oil, but its been stood in the garage for three months and not used for my daily transport untill the 1st March.

As I 've had the spark plugs out twice already, once to replace them and a second time to fix a missfire caused by a split on the base of the rear passenger side plug cap under the scuttle panel, on both occasions there was little or no sign of any oil contamination :Cool2:.

But as the temp outside has risen recently I began to notice that dreaded smell of burning oil again mainly when the engines up to temp and sitting in traffic.

But to-day not only did I get a nose full of burning oil, but SMOKE coming out of the bonnet, mainly on the Drivers side and the odd bit on the nearside :cry:.

Well I've taken a deep breath and had a look, it appears to be coming out of the Drivers Side only, at the rearmost of the rocker cover faceing the front nearside wing, theres a small trace of oil dripping onto the metal coolant pipe then onto the exhaust manifold hence the smoke.

So it looks like I'm going to have to fix this, the wifes furious:eek2: and wants me to sell it ASAP, to be honest I'm not that impressed either, as both gaskets were supposed to have been fixed when I bought it.

So it looks like my bank holiday going to ruined fixing this, I just have have a good read now of all the posts/threads and work out where to buy all the bits :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
ive just ordered mine from auto vaux cover including gaskets are £59, plenum gaskets are £4.95 each, o rings are 10p each and sealant was 12.77 all these + vat. guy ordered both rocker covers for mine because he wasnt sure which one i wanted and couldnt get hold of me to make sure so there should be less waiting time. i think you need a bridge gasket aswell. marks_dtm_calib has done a good how 2 on this. a garage near me wanted 400 quid for it all to be done but ive found one now that wants 50 quid to do it with me supplying the parts.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Its ok changing the gaskets but, if you don't stop the crank case pressurising then they will just fail again.

You must clean the breathers.

I actualy wonder if just cleaning teh breatehrs may fix them as they are rubber and in theory may well re-seal (if not to old and brittle).

R

·
0 Posts
I will do a full How2 on the breather tomorrow I think Mark. This has proved to be a very essential bit of maintenace. I have a crankcase breather box spare now, so I can do some good photos of the main culprit as well, as most people won't need to take it off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
RonaldMcBurger said:
I will do a full How2 on the breather tomorrow I think Mark. This has proved to be a very essential bit of maintenace. I have a crankcase breather box spare now, so I can do some good photos of the main culprit as well, as most people won't need to take it off.
I will look forward to seeing it Ronald...

·
Registered
466 Posts
If the breathers can be cleaned without removing the sump, interior air vents, all 4 wheels and both bumpers ;) I think I'll have a go cleaning mine as preventative maintenance.

Look forward to the how-to, I know it'll be well written :)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Finley, your how2's are superb... How about one for the rocker cover gaskets...

Sounds like we really need one...

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
sophos9 said:
Finley, your how2's are superb... How about one for the rocker cover gaskets...

Sounds like we really need one...
There is already an excellent one in how2 anyway....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts