Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on changing the brake shoes this weekend (I've never looked inside a drum before...) and read the haynes manual in preparation, and I have two queries.

Firstly, once the shoes are removed, it says I then need to remove the hubs. I don't particularly want to do this, partly because it means I'll need to make a special trip out to buy a new split pin etc, but also I know that they tend to be torqued up hery high, thus I am unlikely to be able to undo it (I have no breaker bar)

Secondly, it says I need to smear a bit of 'brake grease' to the shoe rubbing area on the backplate. Do they mean copper grease (which I already have), or is this something different?

Thanking you muchly,
Chris

·
CavWebs Thin lizzy Dude
599 Posts
Don't know about the brake grease stuff, but I've never taken the hubs off any car to replace the rear shoes? Just pulled off all the springs etc & fitted new shoes where old ones just came from?

A good tip for ease of future removals is when you have the drum off, there may well be a 'lip' on the outer edge where the shoes have worn away the central part. I find by grinding this lip flat it helps to get the drum off again at later stages should you require it.

·
Keep buying Astras........
249 Posts
Chris12345 said:
Planning on changing the brake shoes this weekend (I've never looked inside a drum before...) and read the haynes manual in preparation, and I have two queries.

Firstly, once the shoes are removed, it says I then need to remove the hubs. I don't particularly want to do this, partly because it means I'll need to make a special trip out to buy a new split pin etc, but also I know that they tend to be torqued up hery high, thus I am unlikely to be able to undo it (I have no breaker bar)

Secondly, it says I need to smear a bit of 'brake grease' to the shoe rubbing area on the backplate. Do they mean copper grease (which I already have), or is this something different?

Thanking you muchly,
Chris
Copper-Eaze will do fine, just make sure you do not get any grease on the friction surface. Also, add some grease to the self-adjusters, remove lip on brake drum is poss, adjust self-adjusters till you can just get the drum back on and away you go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the impression that removing the hub was just for easier access, )can be a pain to get the springs back on, hub off just gives you more room!)

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Yes the hub nut is not tight at all, its literally done up with a small handle so should be very easy to remove, noooooo need for a breaker bar.
When i remove the drums i usually do it with the hub too by popping out the cap in the middle, removing the nut and pulling the drum off that way, more room that way

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So not difficult to get hub nut off? Oh, OK! If it's not done up that tightly, do I need to bother replacing the hub nut & split pin, or is it possible & safe to re-use the old ones?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
replace the split pin yes, as I beleive its the only thing that holds the nut in place. correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just working on mine now, didnt even need a bar to remove the hub nut, was only finger tight! New split pin, only cost me a quid for a box of 10.
Now all i got to do is put the bugger back together, but its snowing again

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
the hub nut shouldnt be that tight tbh, not like a front one.
a breaker bar is not required. an impact driver can be handy of the screw in the centre of the drum, if u'r leaving the hub on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts