Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROUND 6???
well it's another car, another day:shame:

OK, d was lost along with 3 a while after 2 went. now with just 1 and r i need help resolving the problem. i havent done an oil swap as yet so obviously thats first on the cards, problem is when you fire her over all is well but seconds later the lights go out on the box selector and the "auto box" comes up on the display well i have been here before and 9 times out of 10 it was the oil to blame but i never had the problem with the lights going out. now does anybody think that the probs are linked or might it just be the oil is very low and the selector swich has gone tits up? all the connections are ok as far as i can tell and i cant see anything in the service history that tells me the box has had any oil changes:eh

any suggestions?

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

As the Mark says, oil change, but also check the wiring around the selector switch, if a fluid change doe snot solve the issue.

HTH,

James.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Nope, I doubrt it would, that's what makes me think selector switch.....

James

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vectrolosys said:
Nope, I doubrt it would, that's what makes me think selector switch.....

James
hmm, just threw away a knack'd box too:grrr
can it be took off and cleaned? and failling that how much are they to replace?

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

I remember another lister trying to clean his, and ended up breaking it.....replacement should be available on ebay cheaply, a shudder to think what a new one would cost though....

James.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok got the sumps off and found no (real) fillings until i found these in the little sump, anybody any idea what they are? their made of plastic i think.....

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

My first wild guess would be part of the sheath that covers the wiring loom entering the box, or possibly the connector for said loom. Check the loom connectors for breakages of this nature.

I would hope it's nothing more sinister.

James.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
What was it with the engine running? engine off it should be pouring out the hole, you have to check it and fill when running as a load of the fluid is in the box and TC at this point. Up the the fill point ensures you have enough to cope.

James.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no it was off.
hmm, they do appear to have been trapped and squashed hence breaking.....
the only problem i have now is do i or don't i? oil, filter gaskets etc....
there were some sparkley lookin tiny (and i mean tiny) silver bits in the oil-should i be worried?

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

Not unduly, mine had these bits around the magnet at the bottom of the sump, it's usual wear and tear tbh. Check the loom over, it could be damaged hence the problem your having. If you have any spare Omegas, may be worth snaffling the loom and subsituting it.

James.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, update time!

i have put the sumps back on, everything looking clean etc all connections appear ok. couldnt fint the rest of the plastic ring. will have to wait until tue before i can go and get oil though. i have noticed now though that fuse 9 autobox has gone:eh is it poss that the oil got so low the fuse went? hence having the prob with selector lights? seems a little funny though as it does have a masseeve battery-looks like a truck one!

opinions welcome!:lmao:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most of you will find these pieces of s*** if only take your (front) sump off. I re-united them after 7 months and my Omega still lives well without them.

Thrust washer:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah, that puts me at stight ease anyway! just cant understand about the fuse though? all i can think is that condensation built up in the box and when it got low, it shorted out wires? or maybe while it was jump started?

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

Does it blow again when you put a new fuse in?

James.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts