Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh my god i'm soooooo angry right now!
had a call from my boss yesterday saying i was supposed to be in for one the extra shifts we have to do over the year. i had forgotton about it and told him so, he then said right come in tomorrow, to which i replied yeah right (as in no chance) and promptly forgot about it.
just had a voicemail saying i have to come in today for a disciplinary meeting regarding my timekeeping!

thing is, its even worse because i have accepted a job with coca cola, but am waiting for the offer in writing before i hand in my notice, with the postal strikes it hasnt arrived yet. so i'm sat here doing my nut and wanting to go in tomorrow and shove my notice up his nose and i dont know whether i can stop myself.

i've just phoned the agency guy handling the job and asked him if he can arrange for coca cola to send me an email confirmation today as i really dont think i can handle any more crap from these idiots.

things have been getting steadily worse at work for months now and it's now officially the worst job i've ever had. bad management, shift change with 3 weeks notice, lack of spares, and engineers getting blamed for everything that goes wrong have made it a place i really dont want to be any more.

what would you do? hold tight and get an official warning for timekeeping, or hand notice in tomorrow?

·
Registered
93 Posts
hold tight, cause i know someone who was offered a job, and then before he had recieved the paperwork the company said " oh actually we cant afford you any more"... so just make sure u have the job first...

oh and once you are working a Coca-Cola, send the free samples my way hehe ... prefer pepsi.. but hay if its free... lol they both go with JD just as well.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Am I missing some vital part here? You were aware of these extra shifts throughout the year, knew about the one you missed (albeit forgot). Boss accepts you forgetting and says come in the following day and you don't and then wonder why you have a disciplinary meeting regarding your timekeeping.

I'd have thought the Boss was pretty fair with you

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I missing some vital part here? You were aware of these extra shifts throughout the year, knew about the one you missed (albeit forgot). Boss accepts you forgetting and says come in the following day and you don't and then wonder why you have a disciplinary meeting regarding your timekeeping.

I'd have thought the Boss was pretty fair with you
it's a bit more complicated than that.
yes i should have been in yesterday, i forgot, fine do me for that if they like.
what i resent is the fact that he thinks he can order me in any time he pleases. the shift should have been re-arranged at a time acceptable for both of us, not demand that i come in at a moments notice.

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats the Job exactly?

Does it state any short notice call outs etc etc in the contract?

And a shift change with 3 weeks notice beforehand is pretty fair IMO!
i'm a maintenance engineer.

and no it doesn't

and no it's not

·
KIWI meaty girl...
3,280 Posts
So perhaps both of you should have confirmed your expectations in the phone call so there wasn't any confusion?

Difficult situation not helped by the fact that you want to/are leaving. Hang in there though, as unless Dave can support you, you can't risk no income.

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So perhaps both of you should have confirmed your expectations in the phone call so there wasn't any confusion?

Difficult situation not helped by the fact that you want to/are leaving. Hang in there though, as unless Dave can support you, you can't risk no income.
i know, i can't say it hasn't clouded my attitude slightly, but it's not just me.
out of 14 engineers, 6 are leaving, absence is through the roof and morale is at an all time low.

·
Yawn.
13,796 Posts
i'm a maintenance engineer.

and no it doesn't

and no it's not
Fair enough, if it isnt in the contract then they cant EXPECT you to come in with that notice, unless you were notified it could happen and accepted it.

3 Weeks IS fair notice.

A lot fairer than my employer gives my colleagues, ie 12-14hr notice before you get sent overseas, to Korea or the Middle East etc etc
Or a job change as you arrive at a site after driving 200 miles to get there.

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough, if it isnt in the contract then they cant EXPECT you to come in with that notice, unless you were notified it could happen and accepted it.

3 Weeks IS fair notice.

A lot fairer than my employer gives my colleagues, ie 12-14hr notice before you get sent overseas, to Korea or the Middle East etc etc
3 weeks is generally accepted as NOT fair notice.
the example you are using is a completely different situation, and as such, null and void.

·
VxON Overlord
8,644 Posts
3 Weeks IS fair notice.

Having worked shifts myself, I can tell you now 3 weeks is not even close to enough, people plan their lifes around there shift pattern, book holiday around the shift pattern and arrange these buddy cover days around the pattern!

Your talking about something completely different!

·
Yawn.
13,796 Posts
How is that example Null and Void though?

I am in a similar job role, a Service Engineer, albeit it not in a fixed location like i assume you are?

SteveW knows of the sort of approach my employer adopts, his friend works at the same place and gets ridiculously short call out notice if he has to go somewhere..

·
Yawn.
13,796 Posts
Having worked shifts myself, I can tell you now 3 weeks is not even close to enough, people plan their lifes around there shift pattern, book holiday around the shift pattern and arrange these buddy cover days around the pattern!

Your talking about something completely different!
I see the approach you both have there, and yeah i agree with it being a pain in the arse RE holidays mainly, but with a job like a Maintenance Engineer, short notice is to be kind of expected IMO

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How is that example Null and Void though?

I am in a similar job role, a Service Engineer, albeit it not in a fixed location like i assume you are?

SteveW knows of the sort of approach my employer adopts, his friend works at the same place and gets ridiculously short call out notice if he has to go somewhere..
and having worked as a service engineer i know that it is completely different.

i'm sorry, but it's not a similar job role at all.

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see the approach you both have there, and yeah i agree with it being a pain in the arse RE holidays mainly, but with a job like a Maintenance Engineer, short notice is to be kind of expected IMO
not unless it's in your contract.
i am a fixed site engineer in a factory, with fixed shifts and a required notice period of any shift changes. whether i choose to waive that to help out or not is up to me

·
Yawn.
13,796 Posts
and having worked as a service engineer i know that it is completely different.

i'm sorry, but it's not a similar job role at all.
Ok, fair enough.

Anyway,

Back fully on track,
I woudl wait until the second job is 100% guaranteed to be yours before you do anything that may leave you out of work.

·
VxON God of Apathy
3,680 Posts
what would you do? hold tight and get an official warning for timekeeping, or hand notice in tomorrow?
When you move on from your next job you may well need a reference from this lot, so grit your teeth, smile and say yes sir and hope they don't sack you.

·
anyone for tea?
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you move on from your next job you may well need a reference from this lot, so grit your teeth, smile and say yes sir and hope they don't sack you.
they have no grounds to sack me, this is the first time i've set a foot wrong

but yeah, i see your point

1 - 20 of 23 Posts