Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,

I've recently bought an omega 2.6 auto year 02 and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of maintanence wise? It's done about 35k miles so the cambelt may be due possibly, but what else should I check out for.

The car will be due for it's service so will take it to a vauxhall dealer and keep it's service history but it's nice to have some inside knowledge.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

AT this age, cambelt and tensioners are a definate, their every 40,000 miles or 4 years, whatever comes first.

Possibly consider a coolant change and flush along with the cambelt.

HTH,

Ja,es

L

·
0 Posts
Giddo. With a title of "Am I Aware?", I thought we had a phillosophical thread beginning and was getting quite excited! :lmao:

As they have said, full cambelt kit (it's usually the tensioner that fails) and I would have the water pump done too (£25 part and 10 minutes extra work, but god knows what that translates to in dealer terms!), and replace the aux belt (£16 part).

Good to have coolant checked/replaced.
Same too for brake fluid.

All a question of how deep your pockets are...dealer history is no better (in some cases worse) than an independant with receipts to verify.

I have a receipt for my elite where the previous owner spent £1,300 on the 80k service!! Even allowing for a cambelt change, and a water pump, that is disgraceful!
An independant would have probably charged half the amount! (still way too much!! ;))

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
At 40k, the spark plug need replacing. Vx quoted me between £85 to £105(two different garages) for parts, labour and VAT, I am going to do it myself so bought the spark plug from Vx dealer for £24 for 6 (but you can find them cheaper at Autovaux or on eBay, look up the thread 'Twin or Quad?' for Vauxhall's P/N kindly provided by Mark DTM).

Said that, the general opinion is that the spark plugs are good for at least 40k, meaning that there is no rush to get this done (unlike the cambelt).

The car also likes oil & filter changes and much more frequent intervals then the 20k quoted by Vx, general view is around 5k (though some say 3k). As for oil type, most here agree that Vx original oil semi-synth or full-synth 10W-40 is the best for the car.

If you want to have FSH, make sure that you bring the car in for service once a year. But any repairs that need done outside the basic service you can do yourself (for example if they tell you need new disks, you can say 'no thanks' and then do it yourself) - they will still stamp the book...

This also applies to any service between changes, i.e. oil changes etc, you can do everything yourself - as long as you get the minimal service done by Vx once a year you will have the service book fully stamped.

Another issue is the 6 years anti-corrosion warranty. For it to be effective, the car must be inspected for rust annually by Vx dealer, and this has to be stamped in the service book SEPARATELY from the normal servicing. However it seems that no one on these forums has ever seen such an inspection, or was offered one by Vx dealer, so it would interesting if you enquired about this when you next book the car for service...

Engine coolant and brake fluid need replacing every 2 years (some say 4 years for the coolant, but this is risky because of potential corrosion damage to alloy heads, so go for 2 years). The brake fluid change is surprisingly cheap from Vx, I had mine done for twenty something quid all included.

Use fuel additive such as Redex or STP to keep injectors and valves clean, the Jury is still out on high-octane fuels (Shell Optimax, BT Ultimate, etc). They have far better cleaning capabilities then 95 Octane fuels, but Mark DTM says to be careful because they can be hard on the valves and Mark knows everything. So it's your call.

Oh, and one more thing. Don't raise in these forums the issue of whether you should use semi-synth or full-synth oil, it is a very emotive topic that has been heavily debated here to the extent that our honourable moderator had to close a thread that was going wild. Just make up your own mind and use whichever you think is best...

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Also get the brakes checked. Just because you have some pads left is no condition of your discs etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts