Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Someone please explane how to tention the alternator on a vectra 98 LS 1.8, I only had the car a month and already had to change the battery and alternator, but for the life of me can not figure it out, have just bought a manual off ebay but need to do it before the book arrives, thx in advance for any advice.
Welshways

just a small edit, changed the alternarnator warning bulb in the dash, same problem extra glowy due to alternator blowing, but now all warning light don't work speedo/temp/petrol/rev counter do work, yes I made sure the big plug in the back was secure, any idea's anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I presume you're talking about tensioning the auxiliary drive belt; well if it's like my Astra then it's automatically tensioned by a spring loaded jockey wheel. In fact there are markers on the tensioning mechanism to indicate whether or not the belt has worn (stretched).

As for your light business, can't understand what you're saying (grammar).

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
if i got that right,
get a spanner on the spring loaded tensioner, turn it, slide the belt on and slowly release it. job done.
as for the bulbs - check the fuse for the clocks first but if that hasnt gone it could be the bulbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx found the tensioner, looks like a 15mm spanner trust it to be the only one not in my toolbox, will check the fuses, but need to get hold of an handfull of spare bulbs first, thx again for you replies

Welshways

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
no problem mate. just to confirm - it IS a 15mm. best to use a normal spanner with something on it to lever it a bit (they can make you ache if you're holding it for a while while lining the belt up).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alternator belt tentioner

Got a Quick tip if anyone else is doing this as a newby to the car, it has been mentioned that to replace tha alternator, you need to pull the engine forward, we loosened the brake servo and managed ........ (a very tight fit but it worked) good luck to anyone trying this lol.

Welshways

·
1,281 Posts
Got a Quick tip if anyone else is doing this as a newby to the car, it has been mentioned that to replace tha alternator, you need to pull the engine forward, we loosened the brake servo and managed ........ (a very tight fit but it worked) good luck to anyone trying this lol.

Welshways
No need...

All you need to to do to improve access is to support engine with a jack and remove top left (as you look from the front) engine mount. Take the alternator out the top, not from underneath as the haynes manual says :Cool2:

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi
easy way to do the tensioner Greasemonkies tip of the week
look at the rear of the tensioner you will see a small hole then look at the movable section when you turn it to release the tension you will see another small hole turn it until they line up and insert a nail this will lock the tension off then when the belt is lined up at your leisure take up the tension remove the nail job done
Cheers
Steve

·
1,281 Posts
Hi
easy way to do the tensioner Greasemonkies tip of the week
look at the rear of the tensioner you will see a small hole then look at the movable section when you turn it to release the tension you will see another small hole turn it until they line up and insert a nail this will lock the tension off then when the belt is lined up at your leisure take up the tension remove the nail job done
Cheers
Steve

Or just get a helper to line belt whilst you hold the tensioner off, or vice versa :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts