Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Are Your Buffalo Wings Spicy?
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys.

Last week, my Alternator started to make a whirring noise and the battery light came on soon after (a couple of hours after). So I removed the Alternator and had a look at the brushes, which were fine. I assumed it was the voltage regulator or controller unit, so rather than piss about I went to my local Vauxhall Scrapper to get another one. Presto, they had one in stock, but it was a higher output unit from an Omega. Seeing as I run Audio Equipment and Heated Seats in this bloody weather, I paid the little extra and took the 100Ah alternator with me.

New Alternator is fitted and seemed to be working fine, until tonight.

About 45 minutes from home the battery light illuminated. I almost made it home.

I obviously cant rule out the Alternator as being faulty, but two Alternators causing the same problem?

I was hoping you guys could smack me in the face with possible known issues or any suggestion as to what might be causing the problem. I have the battery in the Shed on a trickle charge at the moment, so I'll have a fresh charged battery to test things with tomorrow.

Hope to hear from you soon, as I am currently without a car.

Toodles.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply's Hopper and Kris.

Update: Battery charged fully and is reading at 13.64v without load.

When I connect the battery, I get quite a spark. I know it is normal to have a spark, but this is abnormally big, like the car is drawing a hefty current.

I'm going to test the fuse box tomorrow with a multi-meter and find out what current each component is drawing. I'm hoping to find something simple, but knowing my luck, it wont be.

I was reading in Jaynes thread that her Alternator was possibly over-charging. This new Alternator is 100Ah where as the original is 70Ah. I was told by the Vaux Scrapper Guy that this wouldnt be an issue. Is it an issue?

Any more input to this would be great as I really need the car next week..... so any ideas, no matter how long shot, I'd be more than welcome to receive them.

Thanks again.

·
Zimmer GT for me!
Black, Astra 1.9 CDTI "Caravan" (apparently).
3,514 Posts
Second hand alternator? It could be as bad as the original. ;)
Still, it could be connections. And try replacing or bridging the main live and earth leads, one or other of them has a rep for being too lightweight for a normal setup. But it sounds like you have a drain going on somewhere, sop the only way to soret it is to go round with your meter and check everything.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
100Amp altenator shouldn't be an issue. The bigger it is the more consistant spark you will get if you are running a lot of electrical equipment i.e. sound equipment to make a nightclub envious, all the spot lights and neons to put blackpool illuminations to shame etc. First thing to check is the voltage accross the battery when running. It should be around 13.5 volts (slightly more than 12, people here would know the exact number). Another thing is to check the earth strap to the engine. Clean the contacts and make sure its nice and tight. Pull the battery off and give it a charge overnight so you know its topped up. A low battery could also cause issues and bring the light on.

·
Cav3 God!
9,048 Posts
A 100A alternator won't be a problem.

It could be a faulty alternator drawing the current. If you suspect (and don't have a current clamp) then you can seperate the different + wires at the battery terminal (undo the 10mm nut) and just connect the thickest wire which includes the battery clamp. (this goes to the alternator & starter) and see if that sparks big

does sound like you should start looking for another alternator.
you could put an offer in on this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230321293202

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haii Guys. Thanks for your replies.

I got another alternator yesterday, a big bugger from a Omega.

Fitted, and everything seems to be working fine. Under full load (Full Beam, Heated Seats, Heated Rear Window, Amp, Blower At Max) and every other ancillary switched on, the reading at the battery is a Gnats Dangly Bits over 14volts.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Once again, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just a thought.
If you have the original radio. These are notorious for draining the battery and will provide the spark you spoke of. So, if you have the original BIN IT!!! a new CD is £50 but you will need the change over lead and an aerial adaptor.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a thought.
If you have the original radio. These are notorious for draining the battery and will provide the spark you spoke of. So, if you have the original BIN IT!!! a new CD is £50 but you will need the change over lead and an aerial adaptor.
Thanks for that. The original Radio was binned the day I bought the car. The LCD didnt work so not worth keeping, plus it sounded terrible.

I believe the faulty alternator was sapping the current as the spark I have now is about right when connecting the Battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.