Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Alex's Skoda Superb 2.0 CR TDI DSG 170

12K views 92 replies 13 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
A recent change of job means I now have the hallowed "car allowance" available as I am now needing to head up and down the country every so often.

And I've gone somewhat off book and instead of just getting Golf, Mondeo or even a BMW, I've gone with this:

It's a 2009 Skoda Superb, with the 2 litre turbo diesel engine pushing out a whopping 170 horses, through the clever twin- clutch dsg auto.

Being in Elegance trim, it has just about all the toys you could ever need, and a few you probably didn't know about either such as the "park assist" feature meaning that it can parallel park itself into a space large enough. Very clever stuff!

It's in a delightful colour which Skoda call "Mocca Brown Metallic" - different in a good way!

See less See more
#58 ·
As mines still in the garage! Picking it up tomorrow (hopefully)

It's mates rates, so it's taking a while, which is fair enough

#59 ·
Mot on Friday.

Thought it would fly through but checked my tyres and the front ones are getting quite low. So I've taken advice from @Matt-SRI in his Insignia thread and my lovely Skoda dealer man has sourced them for me at £84.43 a corner - which suggests to me he's looking online at BlackCircles which is what I was doing too...

#62 ·
So where is the MG cost per month breakdown for all the anally retentives?

Reactions: Matt-SRI
#66 ·
So this is a pretty poor effort at monthly cost!! Not even close to meeting the BRO code of conduct

Surely it should show deposit, total of monthly finance cost to date, spares and bits you've bought.

Must try harder @Alex!! You should spend a couple of hours in a room with @Matt-SRI learing how to do it right!!

Reactions: Matt-SRI
#67 ·
In for a "minor service" today as its just about to hit 60k miles.

A new feature at the local Skoda garage is that they now prepare a "Video health check" on the vehicle and email it to me, so I can see what they are talking about without having to leave the comfort of my desk at work.

Need to replace the pads all round (which I suspected) and the front discs (unexpected) but I can see on the video why it needs doing, rather than just taking their word for it. They also advised me that the tyre inflation kit in the boot was out of date by 3 years. I've never even looked at it, but I only bought the car from them in 2014 so they should have replaced it then...

Nothing else to report in the last few months, just the usual daily grind of driving it for both work and pleasure... I don't get a lot of pleasure, but it keeps me from having to catch the bus I suppose. Used it for a stag do a few weeks ago, put 5 of us in to it plus all our suitcases, everyone was more than comfortable and even fully loaded the car pulls well enough to overtake most other road users!

#70 ·
That's why the taxi trade love the Skoda , one of our lads had just bought a burgundy superb & it looks very smart. Both my Octavia hatchbacks swallowed luggage with ease & drove well over long hours .

#75 ·
Minor dull update, in nowhere near the level of details that Matt would go to:

It has bugged me for a little while now that the clock was running one minute fast.

So the other evening I worked out how to reset it whilst sat in traffic on the motorway and timed it exactly with the BBC Radio 2 news pips at 5pm.

Now it is satisfying watching it tick over onto the hour at the same moment as the 'pip pip pip pip pip piiiiiip'

Living life in the fast lane here chaps!

#78 ·
Not RDS linked time and date?

Cheap shoddy Eastern European bean can, bin it and buy a proper car with power and economy

#79 ·
It is RDS linked for things like traffic alerts, and it automatically does GMT/BST at the appropriate dates.

I was in one of the Passat's at work the other day of the facelift variant, where they have an analogue clock as well as two digital clock displays at all times... but you could change the analogue one independently

#80 ·
The Agila Clock has reset to 01.01.1997. I wonder if the designers thought they were still in that time when they designed it.

#82 ·
Well the car has been performing admirably, chomping up the miles and enjoying its (undeserved) spot on the outside lane of the motorway...

But a couple of weeks ago, with no warning, the stereo unit stopped working. Which was annoying, very annoying. Mainly because as well as being the stereo, it does the Navigation, parking sensor display (though the bleeper still worked) traffic updates, all that jazz.

A bit of digging online suggested it was probably one of two things:

1) Terminal failure
2) a fuse blowing and needing to be re-coded.

Sadly, it was a terminal failure. The chap at the Skoda garage just said "Go and find a second hand one, because we can only supply new ones at a cost of £2,500"

Apparently this is common in the Skoda world with these units and so in 2011- they updated the unit slightly to be more resilient to whatever causes the enormous failure

Found one earlier in the week online, a refurbished unit for £400, lovely stuff. Got it last night, and fitted it all in. The updated unit has slightly sharper graphics, but along with updated maps it has a couple of other features such as an overlay showing petrol stations, where before I would have to search for them as Points of Interest, and it also displays the prevailing speed limit on the screen as well, which was almost entirely accurate apart from a couple of places with a very recent new road layout.

#83 ·
Been sat at home working today as I suffered from a puncture last week and today was the earliest fitting available without paying the premium for the "convenience" of Kwik-Fit.

Two new Uniroyal RS3s for the front at £85 each. Usually, I would use BlackCircles and get them fitted at my local choice garage but the puncture was that severe that I couldn't even use the tyre repair kit that was supplied in lieu of a spare/space saver and I wasn't going to drive anywhere on a flat tyre more than the 1/4 mile I had since getting the puncture.
As such, I used TyresOnTheDrive which is exactly what it sounds like, a mobile tyre suppliers and fitters. Prices are pretty much exactly the same as BlackCircles to within a couple of pounds, so it was a good deal.

Probably good just as winter sets in, going to have to do the rears in the next 3 months I reckon but will let the cost on these ones settle first!

Next up - MOT booked for the end of the month.

#84 ·
Just hit 70,000 miles last night with no issues to report.

Due a service and it's actually worth me taking it to the main dealer as they do fixed price servicing which is comparable price with my local garage that does the wife's car.

Other than that, it did very well on this week's run up to Birmingham and back, I averaged 68mph on the journey there, which was good. The M40 is pretty good but I wish they'd get rid of the long stretches of noisy concrete!

On the return I had to drive a couple of my directors as well and the car proved itself as a worthy executive minicab!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.