Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Well the car has been performing admirably, chomping up the miles and enjoying its (undeserved) spot on the outside lane of the motorway...

But a couple of weeks ago, with no warning, the stereo unit stopped working. Which was annoying, very annoying. Mainly because as well as being the stereo, it does the Navigation, parking sensor display (though the bleeper still worked) traffic updates, all that jazz.

A bit of digging online suggested it was probably one of two things:

1) Terminal failure
2) a fuse blowing and needing to be re-coded.

Sadly, it was a terminal failure. The chap at the Skoda garage just said "Go and find a second hand one, because we can only supply new ones at a cost of £2,500"

Apparently this is common in the Skoda world with these units and so in 2011- they updated the unit slightly to be more resilient to whatever causes the enormous failure

Found one earlier in the week online, a refurbished unit for £400, lovely stuff. Got it last night, and fitted it all in. The updated unit has slightly sharper graphics, but along with updated maps it has a couple of other features such as an overlay showing petrol stations, where before I would have to search for them as Points of Interest, and it also displays the prevailing speed limit on the screen as well, which was almost entirely accurate apart from a couple of places with a very recent new road layout.

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Been sat at home working today as I suffered from a puncture last week and today was the earliest fitting available without paying the premium for the "convenience" of Kwik-Fit.

Two new Uniroyal RS3s for the front at £85 each. Usually, I would use BlackCircles and get them fitted at my local choice garage but the puncture was that severe that I couldn't even use the tyre repair kit that was supplied in lieu of a spare/space saver and I wasn't going to drive anywhere on a flat tyre more than the 1/4 mile I had since getting the puncture.
As such, I used TyresOnTheDrive which is exactly what it sounds like, a mobile tyre suppliers and fitters. Prices are pretty much exactly the same as BlackCircles to within a couple of pounds, so it was a good deal.

Probably good just as winter sets in, going to have to do the rears in the next 3 months I reckon but will let the cost on these ones settle first!

Next up - MOT booked for the end of the month.

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Just hit 70,000 miles last night with no issues to report.

Due a service and it's actually worth me taking it to the main dealer as they do fixed price servicing which is comparable price with my local garage that does the wife's car.

Other than that, it did very well on this week's run up to Birmingham and back, I averaged 68mph on the journey there, which was good. The M40 is pretty good but I wish they'd get rid of the long stretches of noisy concrete!

On the return I had to drive a couple of my directors as well and the car proved itself as a worthy executive minicab!

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Who doesn’t love having to buy two new tyres on a bank holiday Monday?

I certainly don’t.

Especially when one of them is only 4 months old.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
What was wrong with the tyre?
My wife recently decided to kerb and split a fairly new Goodyear.
Probably also about 4 months old.

·
Premium Member
14,918 Posts
Glided past 100,000 miles on the way home from work. I’ve done 61,000 miles of that in the just over 5 years I’ve had it.
Is your dsg box as sweet as ever & is it the 7 speed dry box? I enjoyed the dsg in that nearly new Octavia 2.0t I had as a courtesy car whilst mine went in for bodyshop repair.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts