Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent change of job means I now have the hallowed "car allowance" available as I am now needing to head up and down the country every so often.

And I've gone somewhat off book and instead of just getting Golf, Mondeo or even a BMW, I've gone with this:

It's a 2009 Skoda Superb, with the 2 litre turbo diesel engine pushing out a whopping 170 horses, through the clever twin- clutch dsg auto.

Being in Elegance trim, it has just about all the toys you could ever need, and a few you probably didn't know about either such as the "park assist" feature meaning that it can parallel park itself into a space large enough. Very clever stuff!

It's in a delightful colour which Skoda call "Mocca Brown Metallic" - different in a good way!

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
Very posh . With a load area that big you've no excuse now for carrying the clubs stuff ! Lol ...

Reactions: Alex

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few further photos

Pleasant dashboard display area

"Columbus" Sat Nav/media player with all the usual cd/dvd/sd card/aux in capability. Being called Columbus I wonder if it means I can find America but only by searching for India?

Huge rear legroom - consider that the drivers seat is set up for me and my gangly 6'5" frame, I can easily sit in the rear behind someone my own size!

Neat little clock and temperature display for rear passengers and an additional 12v socket

Nifty overhead compartment for sunglasses

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it a saloon or is it a hatchback?

Answer: it's a Saloon!

Oh wait, no it isn't, it's a hatchback!

And finally, what's this in the rear door?

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
In the famous words of Sir Harold McMillan , " You've never had it so good " . Lol ..... Or as the Germans said when they saw the Skoda Superb roll off the production lines , " these Czechoslovakian natives aren't too bad at building cars " , yes said the chairman of VW group , " I understand the mulled wine back at Stuggart didn't taste as agreeable as normal Herr Heinreich ! "

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the rules of your allowance? Only then can we determine if this is a good purchase ;)
Under 10 years old and less than 200,000 on the clock

Must be a 'car' with a securable luggage compartment shielded from outside view - so no pick up trucks.

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
Not a bad shout then... Keeping it for the full time allowed I assume?
If Alex were to wear a suit & loiter around Heathrow Airport he could be mistaken for a Airport Chauffeur Driver! Lol ...

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Number plate is wonky

Needs lowering

Its a large Skoda, welcome to your mid life crisis, you are officialy now older than me!

Points for not falling into the streotypical jacket in the rear window poverty spec repmobile and it being a higher spec than Daves rep special Vectra LS

Its a dies......yawn zzzzzzz

Its does have a nice smiley face on the steering wheel so when you die of boredem and have the inevitable mid life heart attack at least you will slump into a smile

Is that a truncheon in the door for 'picking up passengers'?

:)

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a bad shout then... Keeping it for the full time allowed I assume?
Got it on a 4 year hire purchase so will take a decision as time goes on. However I have the option, at some cost, to give it back and swap it if I so desire. But in 2 days of ownership so far, it's bloody lovely.

Done 100 miles and the trip computer range has only decreased by 35... Which is nice.

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Alex were to wear a suit & loiter around Heathrow Airport he could be mistaken for a Airport Chauffeur Driver! Lol ...
Got my laminated piece of a4 and a whiteboard marker ready for everytime I go to heathrow for work. Reckon I can pick up some passengers, charge them for my days parking and then claim it back on expenses as well??

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Number plate is wonky

Needs lowering

Its a large Skoda, welcome to your mid life crisis, you are officialy now older than me!

Points for not falling into the streotypical jacket in the rear window poverty spec repmobile and it being a higher spec than Daves rep special Vectra LS

Its does have a nice smiley face on the steering wheel so when you die of boredem and have the inevitable mid life heart attack at least you will slump into a smile

One of the options in the Skoda catalogue is for a special coat hanger that fits onto the back of the drivers headrest. I haven't gone for that. There's a 12v socket in the boot, and with its size, I wonder if I could get a 12v in car Corby trouser press?

As Matt has said on face ache, I will have to make a drunk impractical purchase at some point to massively compensate for this. Though I will be keeping the disco...

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
Got my laminated piece of a4 and a whiteboard marker ready for everytime I go to heathrow for work. Reckon I can pick up some passengers, charge them for my days parking and then claim it back on expenses as well??
There's a reason these are popular motors for executive airport transfers , put quite simply they are comfy , nice to drive , well made & look the part . The icing on the cake is you can put big miles on them .

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's a reason these are popular motors for executive airport transfers , put quite simply they are comfy , nice to drive , well made & look the part . The icing on the cake is you can put big miles on them .
Well it's the reason I had to really opt for the diesel given how many more miles I'm going to be doing in it with my new role I'll be regularly at Heathrow, manchester, birmingham, Bristol etc so it does work out better overtime on the cost of fuel. Plus diesel and petrol are only 1p difference in price now around my way.

Skoda did do a 1.8 petrol turbo and then they did the 2.0 petrol turbo but these are rare still. Ultimately I wanted the 3.6 v6 but costs would be astronomical

·
It's only the bhp per ton that matters
1,446 Posts
Number plate is wonky

Needs lowering

Haha you animal!

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
...... I wonder if I could get a 12v in car Corby trouser press?........
Cheese on toast in a Corby trouser press??? :) :)

Reactions: Alex and Matt-SRI
1 - 20 of 92 Posts