Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone adivse where the alarm sounder is on the Sintra or better still advise why my alarm blows when the ignition is turned on (everything else on the alarm works exactly as it should and the car drives a treat - it's just a bit noisy!).

A dealer has said the sounder is behind the nearside wheel arch. Using the ear it's clearly not. I would say it's in the offside wheel arch or somewhere behind the drivers side dash. Thanks!

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
On most Vauxhalls the alarm sounder is behind the wheel arch liner at the back of the near-side arch.

As the Sintra was US-built, try there or the off-side arch.

On European-built Vauxhalls the alarm sounder unit also contains a back-up battery in case theives simply disconnect the main battery. When the back-up battery starts to fail it gives 4 beeps once a day. At this point the alarm sounder unit should be replaced. On some units the unit can be removed, broken open, replace the batteries, re-seal the unit and then be replaced.

Frustratingly this back-up battery can last as little as 18 months - design fault or what?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this advice. I will have a crack at finding it the sounder this weekend.

I have seen somewhere that a weak car battery might cause this fault. Plausible? Both the car and sounder batteries are the original. Sounds like I have defied the Vauxhall norm!

I recall that the alarms were retrofitted at the UK point of entry so they are probably UK spec. I have not heard any bleeps but presumably if it's once a day it would be easy to miss them.

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
The alarm circuit detects if the main car battery is "disconnected" and sets the alarm off. If the main battery is in poor condition, it's voltage could drop below the trigger point and set the alarm off when trying to start the car. I've had this occur once when an old battery was fitted (to see if it was any good).

I'm not sure what the Vauxhall "norm" is - I normally get 10 + years out of a Vauxhall main battery but I can't get 2 years out of the power sounder batteries on my Astra G!

On a European Vauxhall, when the back-up batteries start to fail, the 4 beeps go when the engine is switched off for the first time after standing overnight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it! The sounder (Texalarm AX16, sealed unit) is behind the indicator lens on the OFFSIDE. (You can see but not get at it from behind the wheel arch cover). Slacken off the headlight, remove the nut securing the indicator lens unit and slide the unit out. Access is then easy.

The sounder's disconnected and silence is bliss. My neighbours are rejoicing. I feel sure now the problem is caused by a voltage issue on the main battery. Thanks for your help RupertTrooper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts