Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can an Air Flow Meter be faulty without putting the Man. light on the Dash,and without showing any codes? I'v just put a brand new Lambda Senser on and the fault is still there (reving when I put the clutch in and hesatating on the overrun,black plugs,overfueling).I could have sworn the lambda was the culprit!

C

·
0 Posts
Coolant temp sensor can play up without flagging the EM light.

COOLANT SENSOR. Usually located on the cylinder head or intake manifold, this sensor is used to monitor the temperature of the engine’s coolant. Its resistance changes in proportion to coolant temperature. Input from the coolant sensor tells the computer when the engine is warm so the PCM can go into closed loop feedback fuel control and handle other emission functions (EGR, canister purge, etc.) that may be temperature dependent.

Coolant Sensor Strategies: The coolant sensor is a pretty reliable sensor, but if it fails it can prevent the engine control system from going into closed loop. This will result in a rich fuel mixture, excessive fuel consumption and elevated carbon monoxide (CO) emissions - which may cause the vehicle to fail an emissions test.

A bad sensor can be diagnosed by measuring its resistance and watching for a change as the engine warms up. No change, or an open or closed reading would indicate a bad sensor.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a common fault CallyT? This ones doing my head in. Is it worth getting a 'scrap' part or do I need to buy a new one? I'v got a multimeter but I'm not to good with it (digital).By thee way,I bought this car with a blown head gasket and I know the lad had run it for weeks like this,so it may have got very hot!

C

·
0 Posts
You can see from the text above it would tie in with your (apparent) over-fuelling. Can often play up on let's and xe's, sometimes hard to diagnose too.
Only a tenner or so, so worth renewing. For the price of it I wouldn't bother testing it, but that's just me :bust:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate thats good advice.I'll do it tomorrow.I'll post back and let you know-Cheers Mick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts