Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK for the "youngsters track control arm".
These cars a good for OAPs like me, cheap to run, big enough to get 2.4m lengths of wood in and I can squeeze a builders' bag of garden stuff in to go to the tip, but from this forum it is obvious that old codgers like me do not do car repairs nowadays because there is not much about mechanical stuff (a lot about electronics though!).
Great fun, last week I tried to just replace the lower ball joint - which might have worked if the old one came out of the arm whre it is pressed in - getting it out of the strut just took a bog hammer and a lump of wood, and removing some other bits, so now I have changed to replacing the whole unit.
Now with the Agila some clever design genius has made it so the front bolt to the body is inside a tube holding the front of the car on. You can see the bolt but can not use a socket on it, I managed to loosen it and I am in the process of taking it out - but now the bolt head is hidden in the tube and a spanner won't fit on it.
Anyone here particularly tiny - 30mm will do so you can get inside the tube part and finish removing the bolt?
There must be a way .... I expect. DO I have to take the front off the car?
Of course I have chosen the hottest day of the year and I'm working outside!
I hope that by the time I get replies I may have managed to tease it out somehow, if I could get my fingers on it now it seems to be finger tight but even if I had tiny fingers I could only hold the bolt and not the head.
I've got the other side to do - so any advice to make the job easier would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after plucking up the courage to start again, having moved the parasol to an appropriate place I started off again - in two minutes the bolt was off, the wishbone off and new one being forced into place.
All going well until THE BOLT. by now with the jiggling about the bolt had vanished up the chassis tubing, A thin screwdriver managed to slide it back - so now just to lift it and poke it into the hole. With fingers too large to hold it. Snipe nosed pliers? Three different sizes and still I could just pick up the bolt but not get it into the hole wihtout dropping it and screwdriving it back where it could be seen.
Mrs. offered to help. There is one great advantage of having fingers like spider legs - the bolt was in the hole in seconds! Mr wondered why he had not asked her for help two hours ago.
Lots more jiggling, fiddling and frustration and using the tip of a thump with grippy rubber gloves to turn the bolt enough for it to grip in the threaded hole. A lot more fiddling and frustration tighteining the bolt at half a flat at a time.
Job done!!
Tomorrow - the other one????

·
13,673 Posts
Asking for help from persons of the female persuasion is strictly against the rules.
Same with reading instruction manuals, a big no no.

Would like to see some photos of this mysterious bolt, just can't figure out what you have been doing?

Reactions: Alan G H and andy_v

·
Super Moderator
14,455 Posts
Asking for help from persons of the female persuasion is strictly against the rules.
Same with reading instruction manuals, a big no no.

Would like to see some photos of this mysterious bolt, just can't figure out what you have been doing?
thats just welsh women koi 😛 🤪

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunstroke.
I did try to stop her, honest, guv but she insisted.
What's an instruction manual?
I got it together, but I'll take a photo tomorrow if I feel up to doing the other side.

·
13,673 Posts
thats just welsh women koi 😛 🤪
Maybe.
Just arrived at my girlfriend's house to find she has totally dismantled the hoover! Apparently I now have to put it all back together.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was to keep you busy and out of her hair, having you play with the hoover must be preferable to whatever else you usually get up to.
I have the more unusual situation, this is not the only time my wife has come to my assistance with tricky practical problems - probably because she trained to be a Design and Technology teacher. On top of that she is an excellent cook. I chose well second time round!

·
Super Moderator
14,455 Posts
That was to keep you busy and out of her hair, having you play with the hoover must be preferable to whatever else you usually get up to.
I have the more unusual situation, this is not the only time my wife has come to my assistance with tricky practical problems - probably because she trained to be a Design and Technology teacher. On top of that she is an excellent cook. I chose well second time round!
same here bud, my wife helps me when needed, she even offers " come wake me up, if ya need a hand "

1 - 8 of 8 Posts