Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anybody please help my year 2000 1.2 petrol Agila's battery light has come on and won't go out
while i'm driving.

The fault started during heavy rain (I'm in Spain, bloody Spanish weather!) when I had to put the wipers on full speed, I also had the lights on and heaters at full blast.

I haven't had it checked out by a mechanic yet and I'm hoping for some advice, could it be something simpler like a blown fuse or relay and not need a new or repaired alternator?
The battery is only a year old and is a good make (Varta) all connections are good, The battery still starts the car but I have been charging it up in the house.

There's a relay looking fuse thingy above the Battery in the engine compartment marked 'Battery' could that have anything to do with the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Gracias

·
Premium Member
12,521 Posts
It usually means there is a fault with the battery or the alternator is not charging properly, do you have a Multimeter test the battery with nothing switched on it should read 12.4+ volts, now start the car and while its running test again it should now read 14.3+ volts, if it is below 14 there could be a fault with the alternator.

Does it only do it when you have everything switched on, hopefully it could be a slipping aux belt, but it does sound like Alternator as you were putting a strain on it having all those high drain items switched on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.