Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you all.
I have had a horrible drone sound coming from up front on the Zaffy, only present when driving (Wheels in motion not at idle).
Jacked up the front (both wheels off the deck) and engaged drive. Horrible noise coming from passenger front drive shaft.
replaced Inner CV joint as that's where the sound was coming from. Also replaced the outer CV joint as I buggered up the thread trying to get it out of the hub.
Put everything back together and absolutely no change to the noise, on further inspection i can see play where the CV/Driveshaft enters the gearbox.
Has anybody experienced this?
if so was it the bearing on the gearbox? did you change it yourself? if so how easy is it to get out?.
If not how much did it cost to get replaced?
This noise has been driving us mad and its not the hub bearing. Cant afford for the car to be off the road too much longer as the wife needs it.
Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
14,130 Posts
Sounds like it might be the diff bearings.
@M32Guy is better placed than me to give an informed opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By play do you mean the inner CV joint feels slack? What gear(s) does the drone appear?
I can wiggle the inner cv joint about where it enters the box (up and down, side to side. but it doesnt move in and out of the box so it is seated in the housing) and when jacked up and its in drive you can see it vibrating. happens throughout the gear range and remains present if you knock it into neutral whilst on a test drive. this is the short passenger side shaft not the longer drivers side shaft with the counter balance on it. thanks again for the reply

1 - 5 of 5 Posts