Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That’s the way central car auctions in Glasgow work, my mates dad buys cars there quite a lot, I’m sure that’s where my Sri came from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking at Mannheim or how ever you spell it, and they said online only because of kung flu and no one is allowed to view the vehicles. Apparently the same with BCA. 24 hours after might be a little too short to get to the auction so will leave it but did by my cascada from there and everything went smoothly but that was 3 years ago . . .

·
Likes this.
11,154 Posts
Wait a minute, this is cheaper than a corsa? £1700, with 130k miles. . . .

Ok what is the catch? Must be stolen. View attachment 93451
No catch, i's just a 9 year old insignia with 130k miles on the clock. I'm surprised it's worth that much!

I'll also add, it's not a "young person's" or "first time driver's" car really. They're the older cars that hold a premium when it comes to price usually. Most other stuff, and especially Vauxhalls in my experience, their value falls off a cliff edge once they reach a certain age and mileage....

·
Premium Member
15,157 Posts
Not forgetting due to the lack of new cars sold, used prices are up a bit anyway. What model is that insignia? Towbar too, probably leave that one at over 100k:ROFLMAO: Most new cars depreciate the most during the first 3 years from new, only difference is you may get a newer reg for your money with regards to buying a vauxhall, against some other brands. Personally I'd stay away from a high mileage modern diesels, too much to go wrong with them now.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not forgetting due to the lack of new cars sold, used prices are up a bit anyway. What model is that insignia? Towbar too, probably leave that one at over 100k:ROFLMAO: Most new cars depreciate the most during the first 3 years from new, only difference is you may get a newer reg for your money with regards to buying a vauxhall, against some other brands. Personally I'd stay away from a high mileage modern diesels, too much to go wrong with them now.
I was tempted to buy it as a motorway cruiser and drive it to the ground but I will have too many cars, so its silly.

·
VxON's meeter and greeter
852 Posts
I’ve had a 56 plate VW Fox now for 5 years and it is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. Apart from the usual tyres and brakes I’ve not had to replace anything. The base spec ones are very basic (no central locking, keep fit windows etc) but they are good reliable motors. Not really a young persons car but I’d say they would be perfect for a first time driver

·
Premium Member
15,157 Posts
I was tempted to buy it as a motorway cruiser and drive it to the ground but I will have too many cars, so its silly.
I've got to say my 6 year old 2.0cdti engine has been faultless for over a year now, not complaining mind. Although I am a little over the top with maintenance and it's only covered 49k, barely worn in:ROFLMAO:Will be my last 2.0cdti tractor engine mind. Maybe not my last diesel though. Not 100% sure whether to go petrol or diesel next, as I do like diesels, as long as they're reliable.
Constant failed regens I think are the biggest killer of this engine, mainly caused by short journies. They also work very well with an auto, as I've owned the manual version too.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Has
I’ve had a 56 plate VW Fox now for 5 years and it is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. Apart from the usual tyres and brakes I’ve not had to replace anything. The base spec ones are very basic (no central locking, keep fit windows etc) but they are good reliable motors. Not really a young persons car but I’d say they would be perfect for a first time driver
Has anyone any experience with the famous Dacia Sandero? Arent they also meant to be very basic?

·
Premium Member
15,157 Posts
Has

Has anyone any experience with the famous Dacia Sandero? Arent they also meant to be very basic?
Yes, I took my Dad over to buy one a month ago. Was on a 2017 plate, basic 1.2 engine. Ocean of room around it, under the bonnet. Steel wheels. Manually operated rear windows :ROFLMAO: I've just been in it tonight again, as my dad came down for a bit of tea. I was trying to work out unsuccessfully whether his car was fitted with tpms sensors or not. He has the dash light present just prior to turning your ignition on. So i decided to deflate 10psi from one of his tyres to see if the warning light should come on. We drove for two miles & no light came up, as it should if it had them fitted. So hopefully it doesn't as he'd rather not have them. To be honest it does not seem a bad car, it's aimed at a certain market, obviously.
As far as basic cars go, I can think of two previous cars I once owned that were even more basic, a citron AX & a 2CV:ROFLMAO:The AX I once owned didn't even have a sun visor for the passenger, you could push the body panels in with your finger & the seats were like deck chairs:ROFLMAO:The 2CV was great for carrying a box of eggs over a ploughed field, although i never did try that. You could bounce over kerbs, as though they were not there though.

·
Likes this.
11,154 Posts
It's a Sandero Stepway, not a basic Sandero, but I've had six years worth of experience of this one now......

20200517_131503.jpg

Mrs SteveW bought it brand new a few months before we met. I would never have chosen one to be honest. My opinion - Renaults are bad enough, so a Romanian built Renault, built to a budget can only be worse :LOL:

But, for a car that cost a little over £8000 BRAND NEW in 2014, I honestly don't think you can go wrong. I wouldn't want to use it as a motorway cruiser or for any sort of long distance driving. It's not comfortable enough for that. The seats are very basic, it's more plasticky inside than a 1980s Fiesta! But it does have full bluetooth connection to the stereo and hands free for phone calls etc.

Paintwork is cheap, in fact, everything is cheap. But then you already know that when you buy it I guess. You can't expect VW quality for £8000 brand new :LOL:

Ours still looks OK though for a six year old budget car I think (the above photo was taken in May of this year), although it has only covered about 27,000 miles in those six years.

Basically, as a city runabout that you're not planning on using for journeys of 30 miles or more on a daily basis, I think they're actually alright. The engines were a choice of two, a 0.9ltr 3-cylinder turbo petrol and a 1.5 turbo diesel. We have the petrol version and although it won't win any 0-60 races, it's surprisingly nippy for what it is. And the Sandero Stepway is by far the best looking Dacia that is sold in the UK :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
15,157 Posts
It's a Sandero Stepway, not a basic Sandero, but I've had six years worth of experience of this one now......

View attachment 93533

Mrs SteveW bought it brand new a few months before we met. I would never have chosen one to be honest. My opinion - Renaults are bad enough, so a Romanian built Renault, built to a budget can only be worse :LOL:

But, for a car that cost a little over £8000 BRAND NEW in 2014, I honestly don't think you can go wrong. I wouldn't want to use it as a motorway cruiser or for any sort of long distance driving. It's not comfortable enough for that. The seats are very basic, it's more plasticky inside than a 1980s Fiesta! But it does have full bluetooth connection to the stereo and hands free for phone calls etc.

Paintwork is cheap, in fact, everything is cheap. But then you already know that when you buy it I guess. You can't expect VW quality for £8000 brand new :LOL:

Ours still looks OK though for a six year old budget car I think (the above photo was taken in May of this year), although it has only covered about 27,000 miles in those six years.

Basically, as a city runabout that you're not planning on using for journeys of 30 miles or more on a daily basis, I think they're actually alright. The engines were a choice of two, a 0.9ltr 3-cylinder turbo petrol and a 1.5 turbo diesel. We have the petrol version and although it won't win any 0-60 races, it's surprisingly nippy for what it is. And the Sandero Stepway is by far the best looking Dacia that is sold in the UK :ROFLMAO:
My dad's Sandero is the Billy basic model with steel wheels and the none turbo 1.2 engine and he's over the moon with it. Easy for him to maintain too. All he wanted basic A to B transport and that's what he has got. I'm trying to work out if it has tpms sensors or not (2017 plate)? The dash warning light is present, prior to starting it, but not sure if they're actually fitted. I took out 6 psi from a rear tyre and he drove it for 2 miles, but the warning light didn't appear. Maybe I needed to take out more? Not sure. My previous Astra K with tpms was far more sensitive. My current J, fortunately does not have them.
As far as poor paintwork goes, I bet most new cars now are the same. The Astra K paint was poor too. Soft and easy to scratch, compared toy current J or previous H.

·
Likes this.
11,154 Posts
My dad's Sandero is the Billy basic model with steel wheels and the none turbo 1.2 engine and he's over the moon with it. Easy for him to maintain too. All he wanted basic A to B transport and that's what he has got. I'm trying to work out if it has tpms sensors or not (2017 plate)? The dash warning light is present, prior to starting it, but not sure if they're actually fitted. I took out 6 psi from a rear tyre and he drove it for 2 miles, but the warning light didn't appear. Maybe I needed to take out more? Not sure. My previous Astra K with tpms was far more sensitive. My current J, fortunately does not have them.
As far as poor paintwork goes, I bet most new cars now are the same. The Astra K paint was poor too. Soft and easy to scratch, compared toy current J or previous H.
Our Stepway has steel wheels too, they just look like Alloys as they're shaped to the wheel trims :ROFLMAO:

Ours definitely doesn't have TPMS, but it's a 2014 model so a good few years old now I suppose. But we're keeping it until it falls apart. Lisa loves it and it owes us nothing, so for what we need a second car for (getting her into town (3 miles) for work each day, and nipping about town for errands and seeing her mum etc) it fits the bill nicely.

·
Premium Member
15,157 Posts
Our Stepway has steel wheels too, they just look like Alloys as they're shaped to the wheel trims :ROFLMAO:

Ours definitely doesn't have TPMS, but it's a 2014 model so a good few years old now I suppose. But we're keeping it until it falls apart. Lisa loves it and it owes us nothing, so for what we need a second car for (getting her into town (3 miles) for work each day, and nipping about town for errands and seeing her mum etc) it fits the bill nicely.
My dad will run his into the ground as he always does with his cars. His is on a 2017 plate with 11k on the clock. He does around 20k a year, prior to Covid. So he'll soon wreck it:ROFLMAO:The only time it gets washed is when it rains. He paid around 5k cash for it.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Interesting option. Thinking a new car would be great as a first car but . . . a little beyond the budget. Maybe a second car . . . is there much difference with insurance with the dacia versus say a fiesta?

·
Likes this.
11,154 Posts
is there much difference with insurance with the dacia versus say a fiesta?
I have no idea with the Fiesta, so many versions and engine sizes to compare but the 0.9ltr Stepway is insurance group 07E if that's any help?

Lisa's costs about £160 a year fully comp :LOL:

·
Premium Member
15,157 Posts
Interesting option. Thinking a new car would be great as a first car but . . . a little beyond the budget. Maybe a second car . . . is there much difference with insurance with the dacia versus say a fiesta?
My dad pays around £200 a year fully comp, up from around £150, his age is working against him now as hes over 70 & never made a claim either. Don't think there would be much of a difference between a basic fiesta and the 1.2 none Dacia. The last time I saw so much room within an engine bay was back in the 80s. Even the 1.0t vaux engines seem to be covered in plastic to bulk them up.

·
Rascal
12,179 Posts
as a first time driver most of the cost of the insurance will be their risk as a driver rather than the value of the car they are driving. Only thing you can do is a few searches on the comparison sites and see what comes out best

21 - 40 of 40 Posts