Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here so I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I currently have an 02 MK6 transit. I bought it a few years ago with the intention of converting it to a camper. I have done some bits in the back like fit windows and carpet, gas stove etc but I've halted the project because of the staggering levels of corrosion. The van seems to be disintegrating before my eyes.

So, I'd like some honest, genuine advice regarding Vivaros and Trafic. The transit has been bulletproof and very reliable, I'm just not sure I can justify the annual welding bill. Ive read that vivaros are generally good but gearboxes and injectors can be a problem.

What are your opinions? Obviously most people here will own vivaros or trafics but should I be concerned with those two mechanical issues? If they can be a big problem, would you swap these issues for terrible corrosion? Just as a side topic, how the hell can vauxhall make a van that doesn't seem to rust and ford cant manage it?

I look forward to your opinions. BTW, my budget is about 2000 so would be something fairly old anyway. I can't afford to make a mistake. I live on the coast in north east scotland which probably doesn't help the corrosion issue. Do all the vivaros use timing belts? One thing I like about the ford is it's a timing chain so no worry about it snapping (Yes i know they CAN break)

Thanks for any advice offered.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
if you get a 1.9 with a 5 speed box, theyre pretty much the best option for reliability with your 2 grand. the 5 speed seems stronger/ more reliable plus youll be less likely to get the later injector issues. although they do have a timing belt .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. So were the injector issues only on later vans? what sort of year did the issue start? Up here there aren't that many to choose from. What years were the 1.9 five speed produced? Do you know if the timing belt (and I assume water pump) are easy to replace? I'd probably be doing it myself

I appreciate your advice.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
injector issues were mostly on 2.0 litre engines. from 2007.
1.9 from 2002 to late 2006 were fitted with both 5 and 6 speed gearboxes although in my experience the 5 speed is far more reliable. timing belt and pump isnt too difficult a job and a drivebelt and tensioner change is as important....... automatic drive belt tensioners become weak and throw belts off , resulting in them finding their way in and under the timing belt causing all sorts of mayhem. proper maintenance is the key.
don’t think that the 2.0 with it’s timing chain is problem free either.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I agree with @billymultifinish a 1.9 that has been looked after will be a good investment for about 2k. I bought a 54 plate in Inverness a while back with about 110k on it and put about 50k miles on as a camper without much issue other than a few wiring faults and general wear and tear. It had rust only where it had been damaged by a tyre fitters jack but it didn't spread or rot through and underneath was pretty clean despite being kept on a farm.

The bodies are galvanised and the steel is better quality than that on the transit, they are generally less agricultural and drive more like a big car than a van.

As you've already noted the gearboxes are weak as the bearings put in from factory aren't up to the job. The 5 speeds are all 82bhp rather than 100bhp which is probably why they last longer. They are slow but they are enough.

The 1.9s don't usually have injector faults, but you need to keep on top of both timing and aux belt changes, the aux belt takes out the cam belt if it goes.

If you get the box refurbished or do the case and diff bearings yourself it will last the life of the van.

Don't be tempted to go for an early 2.0 as they can have a lot of expensive surprises. IMO they didn't put out good 2.0s until the 2012 phase 3 builds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts