Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I think I have a sensor issue. A few weeks ago, I noticed my engine temp gauge was very slow to react - the car was taking a lot longer to heat up than usual, according to the gauge and also to my feet! A week or two after this started, the car began to flash up the coolant was low. I topped up the coolant, the message disappeared, but the gauge was still a little slow to work, although the actual heat was coming through quite quickly.

At some point in the last week, I noticed my bonnet was teaming quite a lot in the rain, although the temp gauge was reading normal. Then last night I drove 30 miles to a venue, left the car sitting for 3 hours in the car park - all in 1C temps (it was snowing too). Then a few miles into my journey home, the dash came up saying that the AC was off due to high engine temperature. I checked my engine temp gauge, and it hadn't moved at all - and didn't move the entire 30 mile journey home (still in 1C). The engine didn't seem to be struggling, and we weren't overly warm in the car - and I never turn the AC on!

This morning I took my son to school, and literally as soon as I turn the car on, it comes up with the same AC warning message, after sitting on my cold driveway all night!

I am major league broke at the moment, and really can't afford to take it to a garage - so I'm trying too be as knowledgable as possible about it before I do so (being female is a pain at times!). Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received!

I've tried the pedal test, and it doesn't come up with anything except that ruddy message!!

·
15,367 Posts
Pedal test doesn't work on the Astra J.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Did you get this fixed?

This has happened to my car last night. No issues until last night when I’m on way home (approx 20 miles) and I get the code 4 (air conditioning off) and my temperature gauge is showing as cold. Same thing this morning (code and gauge not moving)

Any ideas please?

·
15,367 Posts
Are you losing any coolant?

·
15,367 Posts
Am I losing my marbles or has your profile picture just changed?¿?¿?

You check the level of coolant in the header tank under the bonnet. Don't unscrew the cap unless the engine has been left to cool down for a few hours, you can see the level of coolant in the bottle without removing the cap anyway.

Didn't they introduce under bonnet checks as part of the driving test many years ago?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha I’ve only just set this account up.

So it looks like there’s enough ☺

“Many years” but no I don’t recall ever opening the bonnect

·
15,367 Posts
The level looks fine.

Seem to remember there being a software issue that can throw this message up too.
Perhaps @Valer can confirm?

Reactions: Louie'

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Sounds like the coolant temperature sender could have failed.. can you hear your fan kicking in? As it’s not moving off 0 IMO I would be looking at the sensor unless someone else advises it is software glitch/update needed

your coolant level looks fine, not sure if it’s because it’s dark out or the colour of the bottle but could do with a change some point soon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.