Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm looking for some help to fix the AC on my wife's 2008 1.4 petrol Corsa.
The AC has never worked for as long as she's owned the car.

My local garage says it needs a new compressor but before I buy and fit a new one I want to be absolutely sure.

I've checked the fuses and relay and all are ok.

There's continuity across the compressor.

I put 12v across the compressor, it made a quiet click but the clutch did not engage.

All help appreciated TIA

·
13,684 Posts
Sounds like the compressor clutch has failed.
You put 12v to it with the engine running and the compressor failed to turn?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the compressor clutch has failed.
You put 12v to it with the engine running and the compressor failed to turn?
No, I put 12v to it with the engine off, should I try it with the engine running? What difference does it make with the engine running?

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
With the engine running you can see the whole pulley turn not just the outer section, do you know if the system has any pressure.

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
Then you need to determine what happens if you power the clutch with the engine running. The belt runs around the outer part of the pulley, (which will spin) when the compressors clutch is engaged you will see the center part of the pulley start to spin, if it does dont leave it to long with no gas in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then you need to determine what happens if you power the clutch with the engine running. The belt runs around the outer part of the pulley, (which will spin) when the compressors clutch is engaged you will see the center part of the pulley start to spin, if it does dont leave it to long with no gas in.
I powered the clutch with the engine running and the clutch still does not spin

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
Well it looks like the magnetic clutch is gone, so you have two choices, buy new or second hand. Im not sure if you can get a replacement clutch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks like the magnetic clutch is gone, so you have two choices, buy new or second hand. Im not sure if you can get a replacement clutch.
I'll let the boss decide what she wants to do, thanks very much for the help :)

·
Super Moderator
14,459 Posts
I had this problem nothing working, I booked it in for a regas with in,n,out ,problem solved it's now like a fidge.
mines the same, aircon never worked since when i got the car 8 years ago, every time the sun comes out the wife moans........GET THE AIRCON FIXED :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been doing a bit more researching today which has made me confused. I'll try putting some pictures up.
Hopefully I've managed to put up a pic of my compressor.

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
The 2 pin plug is further back, the wiring is inside the housing so you would need to replace the whole pump, i dont think the clutch is replaceable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found these

And also I found a replacement connector

I'm wondering if the clutch is operated using the ac pressure, or am I mad? lol

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
Ok, i have just had a quick look and this is not a electromagnetic clutch system on this compressor, its has a direct drive, so the pump runs all the time and the 'pressure' is regulated by that control valve via a pwm signal from the aircon module,......, does your compressor still spin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, i have just had a quick look and this is not a electromagnetic clutch system on this compressor, its has a direct drive, so the pump runs all the time and the 'pressure' is regulated by that control valve via a pwm signal from the aircon module,......, does your compressor still spin.
Yes, I can spin it easily buy hand

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
Ok, by that i mean does turning the pulley also turn the shaft inside the compressor as well, you would need to hold the center shaft that's set down inside the pulley and then try to rotate the pulley to the left, if the pulley spins with the armature held then the rubber torque limiter has failed and you would need to replace the compressor, if you can't turn the pulley while holding the armature then its safe to say the drive system is ok.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, by that i mean does turning the pulley also turn the shaft inside the compressor as well, you would need to hold the center shaft that's set down inside the pulley and then try to rotate the pulley to the left, if the pulley spins with the armature held then the rubber torque limiter has failed and you would need to replace the compressor, if you can't turn the pulley while holding the armature then its safe to say the drive system is ok.
Thank you andyl, I will have a look tomorrow evening, though I'm unsure as to how to hold the centre shaft.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts