Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Getting desperate here, I had an ABS and service light which iv'e been trying to clear before taking it for it's MOT. I have cleaned all ABS sensors and measured the resistance and they are all equal. I don't have a code reader so was unable to pinpoint the fault but from what I have read online (seeing that the sensors appeared to be fine and no obvious damage to the cables) I thought it was likely to be the ABS computer that was the source of the fault. I swapped the ABS pump/computer module for one from a breaker (who promised me it was working) and bled all the brakes. After making the swap the ABS lights went out for about hours worth of driving with a few engine restarts and then suddenly the ABS and service lights came back on but this time in addition to the red stop light and the red brake exclamation mark light.

I am totally out of ideas, really weird that the fault cleared and then came back with additional fault lights.

Any help ideas would be greatly received as I am getting desperate and coming to the last couple days before I need to do my MOT and I have never had to pay for someone else to work on my vehicles before and would really like to keep my clean sheet.

My vehicle is a SWB Vivaro 1.9 DTI - 2006

thanks in advance

Kieran

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
You really did need to scan the van for DTC’s.
It may not have been a fault with your ABS unit.
Get the codes read & see what comes up & proceed from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah seems like it might be the only way forward, can you recommend a cheap code reader that could be used to diagnose ABS faults? Never had fault code issue on my vehicles in the past so never need one until now

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should also mention that before I switched out the ABS pump and computer the ABS light would occasionally go out for a while but would always come back fairly shortly after. Since making ABS pump unit swap the after the ABS and additional light came on there has been a couple of time when all lights have gone out for 10 mins or so when driving but have then come back. So the fault is intermittent, though at fault for the majority of the time.

cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, though actually I don't think i'll have enough time to get the scanner and fix the fault before MOT is due and no where to keep it off road so will likely be forced to get diagnostics done at the garage if i can't fix it the cave man way over the next few days.

I've seen that the stop light combined with parking break light could indicate brake fluid level... which could make sense seeing as I had to replace all brake fluid with the ABS ECU/pump swap (although the reservoir looks full). Does anyone know if the Vivaro has a brake fluid level sensor, or if incomplete brake fluid bleeding could cause the stop and parking brake light to light?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
Have you checked brake fluid level ?
On Renault / Nissan it can also be a sign of a faulty instrument panel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill double check when I get home as I might have missed something. Seems like too much of a coincidence

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Don't know about that generation but my 2013 does have a level sensor. It used to scream braking fault at me every time I went down a steep hill or sharp corner, until I topped it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I cant see anything online about a break fluid level sensor on the earlier model.. will have a good search when I get home. Anyone know why replacing all brake fluid and bleeding brakes (possibly still some air?) might trigger the exclamation mark (brake) fault light and stop fault light? That would have been too easier a fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did the pump you fitted have identical serial and part no’s?
Hi Billymultifinish, I believe the numbers ITG376 and LTR 2AAY1 are the serial and part numbers and these do match between the two pumps. There are also three long numbers (only) and these don't match but I assume this is a batch number or similar.

It's not an ideal situation but now all dash lights are out for the majority of the time though occasionally abs, service, stop and parking brake light stay on for a few secs longer then the rest after starting and once they stayed on until the next engine restart. The only two thing I changed was adding more brake fluid but about that period dash lights were more frequently coming on and off and now the reservoir is a little over filled, so could be a coincidence and the second change was to do the service light reset trick using accelerator and three break pumps with ignition on (which did make the lights go out but again at that time they were coming on and off quite frequently so could also be a coincidence). With a little luck this will see me through the MOT. I've ordered an Op-com scanner so should be able to find out more if the problem persists, though I would still be really glad to here anyone's two cents on the problem as its really odd and will report any changes and fixes when/if they come.

cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the ‘itg’ and ‘ltr’ numbers are not important.
the number next to the renault emblem
and the gm emblem and the trw emblem all have to match or it won’t work.
Yeah those numbers don't match and iv'e just seen parts on ebay with the numbers that do match my old pump so clearly iv'e totally ballsed it up this time. Don't know how i missed that one, what a fool iv'e been. Ok, so looks like i'll need to get the right pump to hopefully treat the problem more permanently but i wonder if you have any idea why it is mostly ok now (from a fault light perspective), i would have thought that with the wrong ABS ECU installed that if there was a problem the fault lights would be constant?

The chain of events were

-ABS and service light on
-Swapped ABS pump module based on results of investigation with sensors ect.
  • All warning lights went out for about an hours worth of driving
  • Then ABS and service light on in addition to stop light and parking break light
  • After some time fault lights intermittent
  • Added brake fluid did service light reset with peddle combintions
  • Now fault lights mostly out.
thanks so much for you help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds random. maybe start with the right pump and go from there.
I agree that with the wrong pump you would think the light would be on constantly though.
Will try to sneak it through the mot and then try to solve it properly. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Aye it only has to hold up for an hour or so to get your ticket.

I was wondering, I don't know if the ABS unit needs bled via software on these. On vag cars it's a nightmare if you get any air in the ABS unit, you need to get VCDS software and purge the unit.

Just wondering if some air is still sitting in there causing this random behaviour.

I would definitely check for a level sensor too. Should be a plug going into the reservoir which you may be able to get a multimeter on or bridge the connections to diagnose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aye it only has to hold up for an hour or so to get your ticket.

I was wondering, I don't know if the ABS unit needs bled via software on these. On vag cars it's a nightmare if you get any air in the ABS unit, you need to get VCDS software and purge the unit.

Just wondering if some air is still sitting in there causing this random behaviour.

I would definitely check for a level sensor too. Should be a plug going into the reservoir which you may be able to get a multimeter on or bridge the connections to diagnose.
thanks for the tip, will look into it when i get round to fixing it properly.

Booked my mot in for this afternoon. Fingers crossed and thanks all for the support, i'm always amazed at the generosity of people on forums.

cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts