Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY t reg 2.5 v6 elite has developed what seems to be a common fault by the look of things.
The ABS and TC lights stay on and the speedo goes off.
I have tried all the tips and tricks to remedy this fault including swapping the rear brake bulbs, but all to no avail.
I also do not like the sound of what dealers are charging for new ABS ecu units and was wondering if it possible to fit a second hand unit myself.
there are a couple of cars on ebay being broken for parts so figured i might tackle it myself. i am a mech engineer by day(might help).

any advice on fitting or wether a 2nd hand unit would even work would be mucho apprecianos.
cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Steve, where did you get the labour costs from for this job? We had the ABS ECU changed on our Elite last year at the local VX dealer, and the total cost was 465. IIRC the ECU was a shade over 300 quid, plus a few quid for the new brake fluid, so the labour charge would have been no more than 160...

·
Flibblemeister General
1,328 Posts
Plenty of people on here have been quoted that and I have copies of receipts for two police Omegas that have had the work done by a main agent. (The guy who runs the police workshop here is a friend of mine and when we were diagnosing the problem he took copies of them).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ye gods, I thought our VX dealer was an expensive place to get work done, maybe I've been doing them something of a disservice... Makes me wonder though how one place can do the work for 160 quidsworth of labour where another place requires 500 quidsworth - I know the hourly rates differ from place to place, but the leap from 160 to 500 suggests there's more than just differences in rates at work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.