Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
Joined
·
4,816 Posts
KRIS_537 said:
i need to change the front calipers on my cav, but it has abs, do i bleed the brakes the same way i would bleed a non abs.

i done a thread before about this but cant find it.
Yes, no difference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Bleed the brakes as normal and after you have bled them if you are worried about it you can take it for a spin and brake really hard so that the abs kicks in which bleeds the abs pump then bleed your brakes again,but it is not usually needed to bleed the abs system to be honest just depends how much attention to detail you pay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Just done my Calibra with an easy bleed (cost about £15) worked fine. Uses pressure from a tyre - saves all that pedal pumping and lessens risk of damaging seals in master cylinder.
 

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
Joined
·
4,816 Posts
Keith V6 said:
Just done my Calibra with an easy bleed (cost about £15) worked fine. Uses pressure from a tyre - saves all that pedal pumping and lessens risk of damaging seals in master cylinder.
Excellent technique. Only way to do it if you are on your own.
 

·
A tired Vxon user
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
I was told to do the fronts first and then the rears as there split front/ back not diagonal. If you look at the master cylinder it's only got two outputs and not four.

I think I've got air in mine because the pedal feel is shite and I've bled them with a pressure kit four times.
 

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
Joined
·
4,816 Posts
Paul TD said:
I was told to do the fronts first and then the rears as there split front/ back not diagonal. If you look at the master cylinder it's only got two outputs and not four.

I think I've got air in mine because the pedal feel is shite and I've bled them with a pressure kit four times.
You do the wheel furthest away first.

If after all that bleeding you still have a problem you probably need to change you master cylinder.
 

·
A tired Vxon user
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
GREYDJ said:
You do the wheel furthest away first.

If after all that bleeding you still have a problem you probably need to change you master cylinder.
The Master Cylinders on non abs are totally different to the abs ones.

Non abs have the four outputs split diagonaly. Front left/ rear right. Front right/rear left. You bleed furthest away first.

The abs has two outputs, one for the front, one for the rear. If your backs fail your fronts still work. So you bleed the furthest of the fronts first then the furthest of the rears.

If you want to stop air getting into the abs, clamp the hoses before changing the callipers.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top