Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read this statement many times on here, i was wondering, if you have your V5 in your name, does this constitute ownership of the vehicle or not? If not, why, and what does constitute ownership of a vehicle? :Cool2:

Any info would be cool, im just curious.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
When you buy a car on HP it should be invoiced to the finance company and delivered to you. Until you settle hp secured on the car it belongs to them even though you are the registered owner and keeper on the V5

·
Banned
8,538 Posts
Well tbh you can own a car but it can be in your mum and dads name for example, but just because the car is in their name doesn't mean they own it.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
The V5 only states the registered keeper which is not necessarily the same thing as owner although I'd guess in the majority of cases the registered keeper and owner are the same person. I believe it used to actually state this somewhere in the notes on the back of the V5.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Same as a house, the deeds may be in your name, but if you have a mortgage the bank or building society all but owns it or at least a proportion equivalent to the outstanding mortgage.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Matt N said:
The V5 only states the registered keeper which is not necessarily the same thing. I believe it used to actually state this somewhere in the notes on the back of the V5.
was just about to say that im sure it says on the back:Cool2:

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
V5 is regestered keeper not owner. As said, a receipt as proof of purchase I suppose is the only thing.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys. So basically, if you buy a second hand car for cash, and you dont get a receipt, or log book, the seller can use the spare key and take it back, and the police can't do a thing yes?

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
C3MKY said:
Cheers guys. So basically, if you buy a second hand car for cash, and you dont get a receipt, or log book, the seller can use the spare key and take it back, and the police can't do a thing yes?
I'd pretty much go with that, u don't have ANY evidence that it's yours, and, if they don't have a receipt themselves from when they obtained the car, neither do they!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Legally no as a verbal contract is as binding as a written one, difficulty is in the proof and as the previous seller may have something the law would probably come down on his side. Just get him to scribble something on a bit of paper as a receipt, show you some proof of ID (drivers licence is great as you can make a note of the driver number) and sign it and you'll have something a bit more concrete

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jon Mc V6` said:
Legally no as a verbal contract is as binding as a written one, difficulty is in the proof and as the previous seller may have something the law would probably come down on his side. Just get him to scribble something on a bit of paper as a receipt, show you some proof of ID (drivers licence is great as you can make a note of the driver number) and sign it and you'll have something a bit more concrete
Thanks again:coke:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
On a serious note for everyone, I studied retail law as part of my NVQ when I worked for Currys some 15 years ago, and whilst some things may have changed the basics haven't. If you ever get stung either by a trader or private seller there is always someone who can help and as we here so often with paypal and ebay, the benefit of the doubt is more often given in the favour of the buyer.

For help you can always turn to trading standards if it is a trader, and I'm working a case through them at the moment for a cashback claim that never arrived. They may even write letters on your behalf in an attempt to resolve cases. What they will have is records of rogue traders in their area and contacts in other areas to enable them to police these people. and their advise is extremely credible, they do this stuff every day.

If it is a private seller who has ripped you off your first port of call should always be the Citizen Advice Bureau. They are impartial but can advise on solicitors in the area who are experienced in the specifics of your case. Also most solictors will offer you a free half hour consultation and can assess the merits and the likelihood of success of your claim in that period.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great additional info there mate. :)

·
Likes this.
11,135 Posts
I'd never buy a car without getting some form of receipt from the seller. Even if it was going to be broken for spares.

Whenever I've bought a car privately in the past I've always printed (or written, back in the olden days before I had a PC :lmao: ) out two receipts indicating Car Reg Number, price paid and a place for the seller to print and sign their name. Two copies, one for me to keep and one for the seller also.

Same goes for whenever I've sold a car privately too.

Worth the little bit of extra work in my opinion :Cool2:

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,511 Posts
dave's.cavy said:
thats what the old owner done for my car as he lost the V5 :grrr

19 quid lighter and the 400 for the car :shame:
I thought that you couldn't sell without a v5 nowadays. :mmmm

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Torquemada said:
I thought that you couldn't sell without a v5 nowadays. :mmmm

Its still an option on Ebay, the only stipulation is that you have to mention that the car is SPARES OR REPAIRS, essentially covering yourself, because 'technically' you are not selling a car, you are selling a collection of parts that resemble one! Odd, I know, but thats how you get around it.

I always make it obvious if there is no V5 present, because I don't anyone backing out of a bid, because of relisting fees etc, etc.

Its a world of difference if I was attempting to sell a completely roadworthy car, I wouldn't be able to do it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts