1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the points to look out for with regards to VX servicing,
other than incompetence.

As a MIG owner and being incompetent at anything mechanical
whatsoever other than that which I do, namely IT.

I gather Im looking at a more than 1K bill given the carte blanche I have had to offer them?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I serviced both my previous Omega and my current one (7 years in total) only at Vx main dealers. They are expensive, though not horribly so, and do an OKeesh job – you’d expect more for that kind of money. They haven’t seriously messed up anything on my car yet, though I did catch them out occasionally on smaller issues (like failing to put all the plastic screw covers back etc). I would say that if I had a good independent I would go there, but at the moment I guess am still not unhappy with them enough top just go away. And the Vx stamp in the service book is not a bad idea either. Does this help….?

PS – If you do book your car at Vx for service, make sure they carry-out the annual anti-corrosion check and stamp the service book. The check is FREE if done with a service, and is stamped separately in the book – without this you will not be able to claim on the 6-year anti-perforation warranty, even if the normal service itself has been stamped!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
As for costs, a ‘minor’ service is around £150, a ‘major’ around £250, excluding items that may be needed such as disks and/or pads, brake fluid change, coolant change, wipers, aircon top-up etc. The main difference between ‘minor’ and ‘major’ is that in ‘major’ they change more filters i.e. pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter, etc.

A service that included changing both front disk and pads on my 2001 CDX cost me around £450 two years ago.

Also, brake fluid change is relatively cheap – £20-30, worth doing every 2 years as recommended.

Note that of the four dealers that serviced my car over the years, not one ever suggested either brake fluid change or coolant change even though they were due according to Vx service schedule, in all cases I had to ask for this myself.

All in all I would say that if nothing is seriously wrong with the vehicle you are looking at £200-300 or up to £500 in a very worst case scenario – but I don’t see how you go up to a £1,000 without reaping a serious fault.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A non Mechanicaly minded Cheque book signing sheep

Cambelt:
Anti Roll Bar Bush(es):
Knocking like a Tesco Trolley
Engine Flush:
Gearbox Flush:

There are extra must doo's with cambelt? Any advise/?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My Vx dealer quoted me £260 for cambelt & tensioner if done during service, or £320 if done on it's own.

If this is an 80k cambelt change (i.e. second change), then it is a good idea to replace the waterpump as well (my guess £50 parts and labour?), if 40k then no need to replace water pump unless leaking.

Don't know what they will charge for engine flush, guess £30? But read in these forums, engine flush is not generally recommended unless been done regularly since new.

Don't know about gearbox oil change cost, but this is only required at high mileage (70k+) and some say that there is no need to replace at all unless the oil seems bad (e.g. funny colour or smels burnt).

Don't know about bushes costs either - mine needed doing some time ago but was still covered by Vx warranty.

Generally speaking Vx quote less for most jobs if the car is already with them for normal service (this is not vulentary, it is formally stated in the Vx service book).

L

·
0 Posts
These prices really are scary!

Personally I would find a recommended independant locally and get them to do it. They are far more likely to care about customer service, and will maybe have real mechanics capable of doing the job properly!

Failing that, book a weekend in Nottingham! ;)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
laidback66 said:
These prices really are scary!

Personally I would find a recommended independant locally and get them to do it. They are far more likely to care about customer service, and will maybe have real mechanics capable of doing the job properly!

Failing that, book a weekend in Nottingham! ;)
The prices are one issue, but what bothers me most is the lack of communication between the customer and the mechanics. You can’t see what they are actually doing, and you rely on information conveyed to you by the receptionist.

If you ask a question he/she will then disappear into the work area only to emerge later with a reply suggesting that he/she is trying to quote the mechanic from memory but has no idea what this is all about (see elsewhere in these forums - I asked what viscosity oil was used – the answer was a confused look: ‘Visco…what?’).

In the past 7 years both my Omegas were services exclusively by Vauxhall main dealers, and if I found a local independent – the old fashion type that you can walk into the workshop area and discuss the issues with the mechanic directly while looking at the car, and possibly also see what is actually been done later – I would have moved away from Vx.

Going back to prices, I don’t enjoy paying Vx prices, but the car is a work tool for me, and I don’t have much free time on my hands, so paying top dollar to have the car serviced properly is not that unreasonable – especially when the car is relatively new (I bought my two Omegas when they were only 10 months and 6 months old respectively)

The main issue for me is the confidence factor, as I said they did not seriously mess up my car so far, but for example in my last service invoice some very bright individual added ‘timing chain replaced at ..’ (and then some previous date). I tried pointing our to the receptionist that (a) the car does not actually have a timing chain, as it is the V6 petrol not a 2.5TD, and (b) neither the (non-existent) timing chain nor the cambelt have ever been replaced. To this date the mystery of who added this statement to the invoice or why was never resolved.

And, the next line on the invoice said that the vehicle ‘was checked against Vauxhall campaigns’ i.e. meaning that it was checked on TIS2000 for any recalls or bulletins etc. But considering the odd remark about the timing chain just next to this, I am not too sure now if the car was actually checked against the right campaign… and so it goes.

Another point in case is the anti-corrosion inspections. I just recently found-out – thanks to these forums – that the 6 years warranty is void unless the anti-corrosion inspections are carried-out annually and stamped in the book, and that the inspection is FREE if done with a service, yet in the 7 years of Vx dealer servicing not ONCE did they do this. So I pay top dollar and I am still being short changed… very annoying.

So I totally sympathise with Mr. Open-Chequebook-Sheep, but I am in two minds about Vx dealer service. Yes, I would have loved to have my car serviced by trained Vx technician as per manufacturer’s specifications, but is it….?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts