Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my di surpintine belt is bouncing up and down and the tensioner is moving in and out , any ideas why and is it an easy fix? i have not got a book for this yet so dont know , there is a tinkle from the back when this happens from the area around the alt

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well its a good thing the local libary has a copy of the haynes in ,it saved me the cost of a book (what £15 ) as it does not mention the serpintine belt at all !!
any one know how the tensioner works ??

T

·
0 Posts
It probably refers to it as an auxillary belt or V belt. I havent got a haynes manual, to check....but its all the same belt.
And I would hazard a guess that the bearings on the alternator are shot if thats where the noise is coming from, but it could be any of the bearings.
Easy check to do is really long handle screwdriver. Place one end on each of the bearings in turn and the other end on your ear, you will hear the difference when you find the knackered bearing.
Altho please NOTE......you need to do this with the engine running, so be careful of moving parts and the fan can start at any time!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so no tie on when i do ti yes LOL

i tend to listen with a length of broom handle , then i am out of the way and it dont conduct things like HT voltage ( i can tell you that a plug lead with an insulation problem will put you on your ass quick time when it earths through your ear :Cool2: )

the haynes just does not talk about the belt at all im just waiting for the snow to go fully before i start crawling around under neath to play with it :lmao:

R

·
0 Posts
brrrr ano its bloody freezeing i`ll get my book and have a gander in the warm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts