Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I dont have Haynes so can anyone say how to replace spedo + rev counter bulbs? ('99 Vectra) - the left side of the instruments went dark a couple of days ago - must be bulbs.

Is this a pain to do? I remember the joy of removing the whole instrument pannel for one bulb in a Carlton.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes this is a pain to do, but from memory, here goes:

Take off the Steering column shroud, 2 screws at the bottom i think.

Remove the 2 air vents to the left and 1 to the right of the steering wheel. I used a hacksaw blade, cut into 4, with the teeth ground off. Slide these down the side of the vents to release the clips, they should slide out.

Undo the screws under where the vents were, this should release the dashboard trims.

The dashboard console is held on with some screws, remove these and the console should come out, after the wires behind have been unclipped.

The bulbs you need to replace are the two big ones in the middle, i'd do both, for the sake of 50p you don't want to do this again, there are also four bulbs for the LDC display you might want to think about replacing.

Hope this helps, it was a while since i did this so if anyone thinks i've missed anything out, please correct me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks, both. I have looked up the designers at GM on this and will be slapping them!

Why after decades of this dumb design do they still do it?! Even expensive cars like Porsche are a similar load of bollards. It would cost £2 to have bulbs/LEDs mounted near fuse box with light guides to take light up to wherever.

Ahhhhhh....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, a veritable bargain! Must get them to top up my screen wash while at it - I was charged 88p + VAT for 100ml one service - a spendtastic £10.43 a Litre.

On bulbs though, I asked a local factors which bulb for instruments and they said they didnt know for sure - they rang Vaux dealer for me (nice service) - but they didnt know either "may be the holder type many be not, there are lots you see.." (!)

Umm - anyone know the bulb type for the instruments in a Nov '99 Vectra (facelift)?

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Umm - anyone know the bulb type for the instruments in a Nov '99 Vectra (facelift)?
From vague memory there are two sizes of what's called wedge bulbs, but you'll need to know the wattages of them. Sometimes they come in there own holders - depends where you buy them from, but you can remove the bulbs from the original holders and replace.

Bulb on it's own:-

Bulb in it's holder:-

Larger bulbs on it's own:-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.