Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We're looking to buy a new car and have found a 92 2.0 16V Calibra that's in very good condition. The only concern I have is that it's all badged as a Vauxhall car but the plug cover (and possibly the engine) is Opel branded. As there's no history to speak of and the fact that the last owner was apparently a Vauxhall mechanic the question I have is -

Why would a Vauxhall badged Calibra have an Opel Redtop in it? Other than the obvious blown engine.

If anyone can offer any immediate Calibra specific buying advice please go ahead.

Thanks for any info and I hope to be an owner soon.
Lee

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Probably just an Opel spark plug cover mate, as long as the engine sounds healthy, then its no problem. even if it is an engine from an Opel, it is no problem as they are the same anyway!

Look for rust on sills, rear arches, rear chassis legs and fron inner wings. Also look under the oil filler and in the header tank for a mayo-like deposit- this could indicate a porous head. Apart from the usual checks when buying a car, that is it.

Ideally you need proof of when the cambelt was last changed, or else get it done yourself straight away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info will check all of those points. I'm used to working on my own vehicles and always do the cambelt if not in the history. Do you know how big a job it is on these motors?

Waiting for the guy to get back to me to view the car.

Thanks
Lee

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
As Trav states, probably just the spark plug cover thats been changed for an OPEL one. I have fitted a new one to my silver gsi's engine too:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts