Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Another Dead CDX
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mine on 91 , and am getting around 35 mpg , what would people suggest is the proper way round it should go???..

91 or 96 ...

:beer:

·
ken boon
1,509 Posts
im not 100% sure how the plug works on the 8 valves but id try it on 96 for a while! it should advance the timing slightly and the car should feel a bit more lively!

·
member no 88
1,736 Posts
do a search,,,,,there was a good few thread's on this a while back:Cool2:

can't remember the overall outcome though:mmmm

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
i used to have a g reg 2.0 gli & this was fitted with a yellow 92 - 95 plug , i changed it for a brown 95 - 98 out of a 1.6 & set it to 98 , that helped it along but made the tickover slightly lower.

·
I Eat Speed
666 Posts
I sometimes stick high octane in mine, depending on the current prices and find that although i get less petrol for £20 it'll get me alot further than if i stick the shitty cheapy low grade asda stuff in.

Have to have a search about for an actual switch to go between the 2 octanes though. Just read about disconnecting the battery for 20 mins to let the ECU reset so i'll try that tomorrow

·
Registered
147 Posts
isn't the plug so you can use the old 4* leaded on one rating, and switch it over if your using unleaded.
cant remember which way round it is though for unleaded - long time since ive had a 8v with the plug switch on..

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
AFAIK its nothing to do with leaded or not, it is litterally to configure the ECU depending on what Octane fuel you are using. So just set it to the closest setting to the petrol you usually put in :up:

I usually run my cars on Tesco 99RON these days, hence my SEH plug being set to 98(it has a 95-98 plug) ;)

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Set it at the lower number when using standard unleaded. Set it at the higher number if you want to use 'super' unleaded. The change will give you about 5% more power by advancing the ignition. Do not run it at the higher setting with standard fuel as the engine will pink and destroy the pistons. Not heard about disconnecting the battery.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
ran my old gli for a year & 20 000 miles on unleaded with it on 98 & it was fine , didn`t care if it killed the engine as i had a spare car parked up with a good engine in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
this plug you guys are talking about does yours have 95/98 on it mine just has b on one side and nothing on the other it is brown in colour does the b mean the higher octane?help

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,930 Posts
If it's a 91/95 plug then keeping on the lower setting isn't a very good idea is it?
Since unleaded is 95RON?

Best idea (afaik) would be to switch to a 95/98 plug and run it on 95 (or 98 if you throw 'super' in it )

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
The plug is simply a resistor to alter the voltage into the ECU depending which way around you have the plug. I'm not sure that fitting a 95/98 plug from an engine with a different ECU - say off a 1.6 into a 1.8 or 2 litre would have the desired effect as the resistance may not mean anything to that ECU.

There's probably someone on here that can tell you a lot more than my very basic knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
It's on the passenger side of the engine bay, at the rear of the bay behind the suspension turret. looks like a flat oval piece of plastic witha wiring plug attached. Marked 91 on one side and 95 on the other (or 95/98 or A/B depending on engine)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.