Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, for the last 4 days I noticed it took longer to start my Zafira then usual and this morning when turning the ignition key, nothing happened!!
I did the pedal test and got 6 error codes as follows:

This is a 06 Zafira Design 120 Diesel with engine model Z19DTL. Would anybody have an idea of what these codes relate to and which errorcode would prevent the engine from starting. Appreciate any expertise:):shame:

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Wow thats a few nasty codes you have there. Ok I can give you the meanings and maybe a few ideas however it must be remembered that the codes need further investigation.
1 P0621 = Alternator warning lamp circuit malfunction Possible causes are wiring or bulb or ECU issue.
2 P1483 = Engine coolant blower moter relay number 3 malfunction Possible cause wiring, relay
3 P1180 = Fuel filter heater malfunction. Possible causes are wiring or heater element.
4 P0380 = Glow plugs circuit A malfunction Possible causes are glow plug relay, wiring, fuse, glow plugs and Ecu issues
5 P1625 = Engine control relay malfunction Possible causes are relay, wiring or ECU
6 P0520 = Engine oil pressure switch/sensor malfunction. Possible causes are wiring, pressure sensor/switch or ECU

In my opinion fault 5 will defo stop the engine running, 6 may if it uses a safety system to stop the engine running with lack of oil pressure, 4 may stop it starting but it would at least smoke from the tailpipe whilst trying.
Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Fire26662

Very useful information to get work started. Would fault 3 indicates a need for filter replacement? Also for fault 5 is there a specific relay for engine control?

I have today towed the car with a rope and it started! Left it for 15 min running and turned the ignition off, then on again and it started but noticed the battery was almost flat. Could the problem yesterday be that the battery was completely flat? Even though all the lights on the dashboard were on and when turning the ignition on they didn't fade? Usualy a flat battery fades the lights on the dashboard. Now the battery is charged but with engine cold it does take a while to start. Could it be error P0380 with some glow plugs needing replacing?
What would be the next steps in order to pin point the the rootcause of these error messages?
Many thanks for the above comments.

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Fault 5 could be attributed to the battery problem if I remember rightly EC relay malfunction normally means output voltage low. Yes a good check of the glowplugs is needed you need to check for voltage at the glow plug connectors if there is no voltage then the controller or relay/wiring should be checked, if there is voltage there it is possibly a bad set of glow plugs, you can check the resistance of the glow plug, I believe it should be about 0.6 ohms per plug. However as the engine will run I would really check the alternator for charging and possibly replace the battery (you can have these drop tested to see if the power output is good)
To be honest a dead battery can cause all sorts of fault codes to pop up as it basically corrupts the ECU.

·
Registered
218 Posts
OP are you sure that your alternator is working correctly? As the battery voltage drops it will cause the ECU to throw a hissy pissy fit and dump various error codes into the system due to an undervoltage state. IF as you say, you've sharged the battery and the car starts I think the alternator would be my first port of call given the fact it is a well known problem with the Astra/Zafira ranges.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your advises. I defenitely look into the glow plugs and also the alternator. The battery life may also be at it's end so will keep an eye. So far today it stated every time although when cold it takes two or three tries. Will let you know soon. Txs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there, just a quick update. The last few days it happened again whereby turning the ignition key, nothing happened. So this time I have checked the starter motor and guess what? It was loose!! Apparently the previous owner had the starter motor replaced and now it was only on two loose bolts with one missing. I think it could have been an earth problem so that the starter motor would not turn on. I have refixed it and since then no more problems and also starts first time. Had a look at the glow plugs and seem to be fine. Well I think it is a happy (and cheap) ending:) Many thanks for your help and advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts