Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

58 plate vectra cdti high fuel pressure

[Vectra C] [02-08] 
1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  gixer 
#1 ·
Hi, the vectra cdti 150 wont start due to high fuel pressure.

Its showing 27000psi on scanner when cranking the engine. It fires once then stops.

There is no fault codes showing.

There is 1 fuel sensor on the end of the rail and wonder if this is faulty. I also see there is a regulator on the end of the high pressure pump.

any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
What scanner are you using. You need something like Opcom, Vauxcom, Tech2 etc, not generic scan tools

#3 ·
Im waiting for opcom coming, but I used elm based Touchscan.
I believe the readings are correct as I bought the car with this problem.
The software reads a lot of sensors so I do think its values are reasonable.

Ive also checked for DTC's with the touchscan & Vauxcheck and none are logged.

#4 ·
fuel pressure needs to be high for a cdti to start , so you may well be barking up the wrong tree .
last one I looked at that was doing the same had a slack timing belt ( lug snapped off tensioner ) so it would fire until the ECU saw the cam correlation was out & then stop .
ELM may well not show any fault codes even though they may be present , easiest way to know if codes present is turn the ignition on but do not try to start , wait until all the warning lights have done the self test & gone out , if the car / spanner light remains on there is a stored fault .

#5 ·
Thanks for the info.
I will check if the spanner light stays on just with ignition.
Will Opcom show a fault if the spanner light is on?

The reason im thinking of such high pressure causing the problem is due the info I have found reading a few car forums.
From what I can find around 5000psi is produced at tickover and around 22000psi at max load. My thoughts were that the ECU was cutting the engine due to extreme pressure in the rail at cranking. Thats if there is a fail safe pressure value loaded in the factory ECU.
I believe Opcom shows a desired common rail pressure and an actual pressure for comparison.
But like you say I could be completely wrong.

#7 ·
Just went and checked and car/spanner light is staying on so theres something stored. I may have triggered something as I had the MAF and MAP off and disconnected to test.
The reason Im drawn to the pressure problem is due to the chap mentioning it when I bought the car. He said it was a Vauxhall mechanic that tested the codes/values.

But then again I knew I was buying it as I got it cheap enough.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info.
I will check if the spanner light stays on just with ignition.
Will Opcom show a fault if the spanner light is on?

Provided you have an OpCom that is correctly configured and running the latest Vauxcom software it will work with your car correctly. I can help if you want to go down that route.

The £16 specials on eBay will not work for you.

Reactions: MikeSW17
#10 ·
Genuine Vauxcom I believe is between £600 to £800 depending on the version.

#11 ·
Well my Opcom arrived and 2 codes are showing.
1. Glow Plug Error
2. Fuel Pressure High

Desired fuel pressure is 30Mpa and mines nearly 180Mpa when cranking the engine. That's a massive difference and I have no doubt I need to change either fuel pressure regulator on the pump or fuel pressure sensor on the common rail.

Cleared both and cranked engine agin and the 2 codes showed up again.
So will post back once I check the glow plugs and get a fuel pressure reg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.