Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My brother has a Cav 4x4 Turbo and has problem with his Hydraulics...

The breather hose from the transfer box pours with power steering fluid as soon as the car is started.
When he pulls out fuse No 19 (fwd only mode) the draining of his steering fluid stops.

He thinks it is either his accumulator or 4x4 solanoid (?) to blame.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers. AL.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Hi everyone.
My brother has a Cav 4x4 Turbo and has problem with his Hydraulics...

The breather hose from the transfer box pours with power steering fluid as soon as the car is started.
When he pulls out fuse No 19 (fwd only mode) the draining of his steering fluid stops.

Cheers. AL.
sorry to say it needs a transfer box mate the seals have gone in it

have as look here and sign up a few people round your way

http://www.cavalierturbo.com/

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
yes sign into the cavalier turbo site. send mike hayward a message he does locked boxes which are better than standard and also does away the the acc blub etc. gives permenant 4 x 4 more reliable. loads of people have these boxes on theres, if mine goes thats what im doing.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
The membrane in the accumulator has failed causing the power steering fluid on one side to flow into the transfer box and then out the breather.

Many users do not realize that the accumulator is a limited life device needing to be changed every 60k miles for safety. When it fails the TXB is dead.

More expensive than a cam belt failing but it gets much less attention.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acumulator bulb sounded about right from what he reckoned. The car was ok when he parked it that night but the fluid drain started as soon as he started the car in the morning. Is there no chance the the accumulator bulb is nackered but the TX box could be ok since the car wasnt driven ?
( I know you prob think am clutching at straws - I just dont have the knowledge of the 4x4 system used in this car - ( I drive a landrover)

Again thanks for all the help. AL

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
As soon as the membrane failes the txb filled with power steering fluid. Unfortunately this is not the same as txb fluid and will have contaminated the txb which uses special oil. You could replace the accumulator, there is one on ebay at the moment, drain the txb and refill with new oil but I suspect it will not work properly. Check out www.cav16.co.uk for all the info.

·
Registered
195 Posts
More accurately, the accumulator bulb may have failed, which will have caused the ram seal in the transfer box to fail. replace both the accumulator bulb and the transfer box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help.
Will pass it on to my brother who can now cough up the cash to get it repaired ( He just did a re-bore and engine re-build last month! so he'll be talking nicely to the bank manager me thinks)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.