Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 2016 vivaro to convert to a camper. Can anyone advise on the charging system? I understand that due to the van being fitted with a smart alternator the traditional split charge relay system is no good!
Thanks in advance 馃榾

Registered
I bought mine X82 in December after a T5 for 9 years and it seems you're right, it needs the much more expensive DC-DC charging kit at around 拢250. I'm a long way off completing mine but thinking of just solar this time as I only really need it driving to Portugal and it only takes 3 days. It may change but I'm not going the whole hog in conversion this time, just a day van with removable bed and a pod.
Rob
PS welcome and keep us updated, we need more users on here to swap ideas.

Registered
Yep I have 2014 just starting to convert so have been looking into this. You will need a Dc to Dc charger which to be fair work better anyway although yep more money! A lot of people recommend Stirling dc to dc

Registered
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 2016 vivaro to convert to a camper. Can anyone advise on the charging system? I understand that due to the van being fitted with a smart alternator the traditional split charge relay system is no good!
Thanks in advance 馃榾
YES you do. People have used the older type ( scarily some pro converters of vans!!)> I've done 3 Vivaro/Trafic vans now and used the Sterling charger.
If you have queries on it you can call Sterling direct, their number is on the website.

Registered
This is interesting stuff, I have a 2016 Trafic that was already converted when I picked it up. This is my second camper and I noted it had the standard split charge relay fitted. I've never been convinced this was correct. It was fine when I had a old T4 camper van. On my Trafic the start stop function has stopped working and I thought it maybe down to the second battery charging system. I will take a look at the Sterling kit and see how simple it would be to swap out etc. Glad I found this post.

Registered

I swapped over the old VSR with the new DC to DC unit. The size difference is massive, luckily I had space in the back cupboard. Not been on a drive yet to test it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts