Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 2016 vivaro to convert to a camper. Can anyone advise on the charging system? I understand that due to the van being fitted with a smart alternator the traditional split charge relay system is no good!
Thanks in advance 馃榾

Registered
I bought mine X82 in December after a T5 for 9 years and it seems you're right, it needs the much more expensive DC-DC charging kit at around 拢250. I'm a long way off completing mine but thinking of just solar this time as I only really need it driving to Portugal and it only takes 3 days. It may change but I'm not going the whole hog in conversion this time, just a day van with removable bed and a pod.
Rob
PS welcome and keep us updated, we need more users on here to swap ideas.

Registered
Yep I have 2014 just starting to convert so have been looking into this. You will need a Dc to Dc charger which to be fair work better anyway although yep more money! A lot of people recommend Stirling dc to dc

Registered
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 2016 vivaro to convert to a camper. Can anyone advise on the charging system? I understand that due to the van being fitted with a smart alternator the traditional split charge relay system is no good!
Thanks in advance 馃榾
YES you do. People have used the older type ( scarily some pro converters of vans!!)> I've done 3 Vivaro/Trafic vans now and used the Sterling charger.
If you have queries on it you can call Sterling direct, their number is on the website.

Registered
This is interesting stuff, I have a 2016 Trafic that was already converted when I picked it up. This is my second camper and I noted it had the standard split charge relay fitted. I've never been convinced this was correct. It was fine when I had a old T4 camper van. On my Trafic the start stop function has stopped working and I thought it maybe down to the second battery charging system. I will take a look at the Sterling kit and see how simple it would be to swap out etc. Glad I found this post.

Registered

I swapped over the old VSR with the new DC to DC unit. The size difference is massive, luckily I had space in the back cupboard. Not been on a drive yet to test it out.

Registered
We're due to get our 16 Vivaro partly converted by a pro. When discussing it the converter company mentioned split system. They should know this issue since they're a very good company and a proper coachbuilder for industrial vehicles too, most of their work is million pound industrial fitting out company van fleets. I really should check the details. I think they mentioned DC unit but woosh, right over our heads.

Anyone know if new model ford transits have a similar system? They've done a larger transit as a bells and whistles show van (now sold off) that was 18 or 19 plate from new. If that's the same then it'll have the right electrical system in so ours will too, I reckon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies and advice! After some extensive research I've gone for the ctek d250se set up which I will be fitting this weekend!
Hopefully going to fit everything including the battery underneath the double passengers seat.

If anyone is wondering how to get you battery cable through from the engine bay into the cab, there is no need whatsoever to remove your dash or any piece of trim! Follow the bonnet catch cable from the handle down by the near side door and it goes into a rubber grommet with 3 knock outs. Just pierce one of the 2 unused knockouts and feed your cable through! Saves so much time and agro pulling the dash apart!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts