Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here.
Having just purchased the above vehicle, i am surprised at it's lack of oomph. Can any one recommend the steps i should take to get it as good as it can be. I've changed the plugs and checked the air filter, I'm awaiting delivery of a cat cleaner and a new seal for the filler cap. I am also surprised to find so little information on replacing the fuel filter. Have any of you replaced it? Did the new filter make a difference or does the fuel filter for the petrol variant last the lifetime of the vehicle?
For years now i have only owned diesel cars my last one being a 2.0 tdi golf so this petrol journey is new to me.
Thanks. In anticipation of an inciteful reply.

·
Worn Out Member
7,328 Posts
mmm,the 1.8 in the Insignia is (shall we say) a little lacking in go,
do the things you plan but i doubt it'll make a lot of difference,
there's not a fuel filter in the system,just a coarse gauze in the fuel tank that in theory will never need cleaning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mmm,the 1.8 in the Insignia is (shall we say) a little lacking in go,
do the things you plan but i doubt it'll make a lot of difference,
there's not a fuel filter in the system,just a coarse gauze in the fuel tank that in theory will never need cleaning.
Thankyou for your reply, i appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
You bought the wrong car, the 1.8 is to small for the size of car,. When the vec b had the z18 at 125bhp was just OK then it got 140 when put in the vec c but still lacked get up and go. Small engines in big cars are a waste of time poor mpg and get up and go.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can't compare 2.0 diesel with 1.8 petrol. Had 2.0 tdci in focus and it was flying, when working (got rid of this c..p last year).
I have similar engine in our Zafira - (you have A, I have Z), and when I was switching the cars the difference was enormous.
Bought Scenic III 1.6 last year and it is a slow cow compared to Vx 1.8.
So maybe there is no issue with your car at all.

However, it would be a good idea to do the starter pack: the cam set, drive belt, air and oil filter, oil.
Personally I've never changed the fuel filter in any of my petrol cars, and had a quite few of them.

·
Registered
2003 Vauxhall Astra G 1.6 8v Active.
914 Posts
The car has 100 bhp per tonne. It's not going to be a rocket ship, but perfectly acceptable power to weight ratio for day to day use. Be cheaper to lower your expectations and increase your 0-60 time than change car.

I have had cars with a lot less power than 140bhp, it doesn't sound too shabby to me! :LOL:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You bought the wrong car, the 1.8 is to small for the size of car,. When the vec b had the z18 at 125bhp was just OK then it got 140 when put in the vec c but still lacked get up and go. Small engines in big cars are a waste of time poor mpg and get up and go.
Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can't compare 2.0 diesel with 1.8 petrol. Had 2.0 tdci in focus and it was flying, when working (got rid of this c..p last year).
I have similar engine in our Zafira - (you have A, I have Z), and when I was switching the cars the difference was enormous.

However, it would be a good idea to do the starter pack: the cam set, drive belt, air and oil filter, oil.
Personally I've never changed the fuel filter in any of my petrol cars, and had a quite few of them.
[/QU

Ok, thanks for that. I have oil & filter also pollen filter too and plan to do those jobs this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your response. much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car has 100 bhp per tonne. It's not going to be a rocket ship, but perfectly acceptable power to weight ratio for day to day use. Be cheaper to lower your expectations and increase your 0-60 time than change car.

I have had cars with a lot less power than 140bhp, it doesn't sound too shabby to me! :LOL:
Ok. thankyou. "Lower your expectations and increase your 0-60 time" I like it.

·
Registered
2003 Vauxhall Astra G 1.6 8v Active.
914 Posts
Ok. thankyou. "Lower your expectations and increase your 0-60 time" I like it.
As a driver of an 84 BHP Astra G, it's what I do. A slightly more mellow approach to accelerating needs to be adopted. I cruise along quite happily at 60/65 and acheive great mpg. Whilst not exciting, it is certainly a much more relaxing way to drive and suits my car well. I suspect it would your Insignia.

I could see myself in an Insignia 1.8. Fine looking car. May not have the grunt of that lovely 160bhp diesel with its huge torque reserves, but then again it's got a lot less to go wrong. :)(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a driver of an 84 BHP Astra G, it's what I do. A slightly more mellow approach to accelerating needs to be adopted. I cruise along quite happily at 60/65 and acheive great mpg. Whilst not exciting, it is certainly a much more relaxing way to drive and suits my car well. I suspect it would your Insignia.

I could see myself in an Insignia 1.8. Fine looking car. May not have the grunt of that lovely 160bhp diesel with its huge torque reserves, but then again it's got a lot less to go wrong. :)(y)
Yes it is a good looking car and i agree there are different ways to drive. You speak a lot of sense. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts