Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
just curious, they took the injectors out of the engine to clean and test them?
Yes they did take them out and clean them.The problem is going to be something small and obvious when it's found, it's always they way. It's driving us all mad. Someone local said tow it around the town and see if it kicks it into life. Ummm no !!

·
Super Moderator
26,585 Posts
The lift pump in a fuel tank.
If a lift pump is failing that will cause the engine to cut out.
Does this Zafira have a intank lift pump ?

·
Super Moderator
26,585 Posts
If this is the one you mean It has been replaced & made no difference at all. This is in the fuel tank
Ok that’s covered then.
Was there any running issues before the cutting out started ?
I’m wondering if you’ve got some damaged wiring on one of the wiring looms for the engines fuel management system.
My mate had this exact issue on his Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi estate , turned out to be damaged wires on a wiring loom in the engine bay.
It would start & run then cut out , no management warning lights showed up ever.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Yes they did take them out and clean them.The problem is going to be something small and obvious when it's found, it's always they way. It's driving us all mad. Someone local said tow it around the town and see if it kicks it into life. Ummm no !!
Don't assume that if they work out of the car they will work when fitted in the car. There's been that many folk touching it and that many parts fired at it that we can only assume that proper testing hasn't been carried out to pinpoint the fault. How did they come to the conclusion it needed a new lift pump, if it doesn't make a whirring sound change it? Certainly less taxing to some folk then setting up the scope and methodically testing parts of the circuit involved.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Has this car got a Denso or Bosch fuel system (I always thought the Ecoflex had a Denso system)?
The Denso system has a pump in the tank, but the Bosch ones don't (at least, all the ones I've had didn't).
Is the photo of the tank unit you posted the one that has been fitted, or just a stock photo? Because that photo is one for a Bosch system with no pump (it's only got two wiring connectors, if it had a pump there would be four).
If you have the Denso system, one simple test you could try is to disconnect the pipe at the fuel filter and see if fuel is pumped out for a short time when the ignition is turned on (you may have to try this a small number of times to get fuel).

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Don't assume that if they work out of the car they will work when fitted in the car. There's been that many folk touching it and that many parts fired at it that we can only assume that proper testing hasn't been carried out to pinpoint the fault. How did they come to the conclusion it needed a new lift pump, if it doesn't make a whirring sound change it? Certainly less taxing to some folk then setting up the scope and methodically testing parts of the circuit involved.
There hasn't been that many people touching it. I am not a mechanic & don't pretend to be.
I have come onto this forum to ask for help & i have had some really useful information from helpful people & i thank them for that.
I seem to have upset you in some way.
Is there anyway of deleting this post??
As for proper testing we have to go on what we are told the dealer and from the Engine company the car was at. Like i have said I am no mechanic but thanks for your input

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Has this car got a Denso or Bosch fuel system (I always thought the Ecoflex had a Denso system)?
The Denso system has a pump in the tank, but the Bosch ones don't (at least, all the ones I've had didn't).
Is the photo of the tank unit you posted the one that has been fitted, or just a stock photo? Because that photo is one for a Bosch system with no pump (it's only got two wiring connectors, if it had a pump there would be four).
If you have the Denso system, one simple test you could try is to disconnect the pipe at the fuel filter and see if fuel is pumped out for a short time when the ignition is turned on (you may have to try this a small number of times to get fuel).
I personally do not know which fuel system it has on it , everything that has been changed has been genuine Vauxhall parts. The photo is of a brand new genuine Vauxhall part which is the correct part for the car apparently. Thanks for your help Alan.

·
Super Moderator
26,585 Posts
Rick what is a CIM. Sorry i'm not a mechanic so don't have a clue what it is. Thanks for your help
It’s part of the cars main computer system ( although it’s not a computer system )
The car has a Can Bus module system fitted which has these 4 main modules fitted to make the car run , REC / UHEC / CIM / IPC.
Those modules communicate with each other over the 2 twisted Can Bus wires.
Failure to be able to talk to each other will cause a non start ( engine won’t turn over )
Yours fires up so the above isn’t your issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It’s part of the cars main computer system ( although it’s not a computer system )
The car has a Can Bus module system fitted which has these 4 main modules fitted to make the car run , REC / UHEC / CIM / IPC.
Those modules communicate with each other over the 2 twisted Can Bus wires.
Failure to be able to talk to each other will cause a non start ( engine won’t turn over )
Yours fires up so the above isn’t your issue.
Yeah it fires up then instantly cuts out, it does it a couple of times then when you turn the engine over again it sounds like the cam belt has gone but it hasn't.
It was running fine no issues at all until this. Do you know if EGR completely fails could it cause this ??

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
There hasn't been that many people touching it. I am not a mechanic & don't pretend to be.
I have come onto this forum to ask for help & i have had some really useful information from helpful people & i thank them for that.
I seem to have upset you in some way.
Is there anyway of deleting this post??
As for proper testing we have to go on what we are told the dealer and from the Engine company the car was at. Like i have said I am no mechanic but thanks for your input

You haven't upset me at all! And yes we're all trying to help you. Gets me wound up when I hear about the parts cannon being fired ?

Find a decent auto sparky, and give it to him as a non runner, a fresh set of eyes is all it takes sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I personally do not know which fuel system it has on it , everything that has been changed has been genuine Vauxhall parts. The photo is of a brand new genuine Vauxhall part which is the correct part for the car apparently. Thanks for your help Alan.
Kevin,
You need to take a look at the fuel pump and decide if it has a Denso pump or a Bosch. If it has a Denso, then I believe the tank unit in the photo is the wrong one, as I believe it should have 4 connectors in the socket for the wiring plug. The tank unit shown only has two connectors in the socket, and is, I think, for the Bosch system.
The fuel pump is visible down the back of the engine, at the timing belt end (it's driven off the timing belt), hard to see, but you might be lucky and see a label on the pump.
If you type "vauxhall 1.7 cdti denso fuel pump" into google images, and then "vauxhall 1.7 cdti bosch fuel pump" you will see what difference you are looking for.
It appears that you have thrown nearly as much money as the car is worth at it, and, as Pedro says, it winds all of us up when we see what we think is someone being "taken for a ride" (no taxi pun intended).
Good luck, hope you get this fixed soon,
Alan.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Kevin,
You need to take a look at the fuel pump and decide if it has a Denso pump or a Bosch. If it has a Denso, then I believe the tank unit in the photo is the wrong one, as I believe it should have 4 connectors in the socket for the wiring plug. The tank unit shown only has two connectors in the socket, and is, I think, for the Bosch system.
The fuel pump is visible down the back of the engine, at the timing belt end (it's driven off the timing belt), hard to see, but you might be lucky and see a label on the pump.
If you type "vauxhall 1.7 cdti denso fuel pump" into google images, and then "vauxhall 1.7 cdti bosch fuel pump" you will see what difference you are looking for.
It appears that you have thrown nearly as much money as the car is worth at it, and, as Pedro says, it winds all of us up when we see what we think is someone being "taken for a ride" (no taxi pun intended).
Good luck, hope you get this fixed soon,
Alan.
The fuel pump that came off it is in the pictures, it is the same part number and is exactly the same as the new one.
I understand it winds everyone up just like it is us, the car is worth more to us fixed especially at this time of year.
It's hard because the fault can not be found, someone else has told us to do the towing as it could be a lazy starter, has anyone else heard of this ??

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You haven't upset me at all! And yes we're all trying to help you. Gets me wound up when I hear about the parts cannon being fired ?

Find a decent auto sparky, and give it to him as a non runner, a fresh set of eyes is all it takes sometimes.
Thanks glad i haven't upset you.
We thought we were doing the right thing going to dealer but clearly this isn't the case.
The weekend that my car broke down my partners broke down as well (Bad Luck or what) our cars are well maintained unlike others in our town. on the breakdown companies diagnostics it came up with an EGR fault but when the main dealer put there diagnostics on it they came up with no faults at all but replaced the EGR with a new one due to the breakdown companies findings. Touch wood it has run fine since, luckily it was still under warranty.
Thanks for you help

·
13,314 Posts
So it's all sorted now then?

·
Super Moderator
26,585 Posts
It won’t be a lazy starter otherwise it wouldn’t fire into life before cutting out.
It’s like the engine can fire up but the ECU is shutting it down due to not seeing a signal it needs to allow the car to run , in that case you’d at least have a DTC logged like when my MAF caused my cutting out after the engine started.
Needs a good auto spark to check all the wiring looms around the engine.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts