Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Fiancee has a 2012 Corsa D which has never had any issues to date....

She was driving the other day and her tempreture light came on the dash, she pulled over let it cool and topped the coolant up

2 days go by and the issue comes again with it now bubbling in the expansion vessel so after some reading and checked for leaks - which there was none, we went ahead and replaced the termostate.

As it happens the old thermostate side lugs, one had broken and the gasket had worn, so a new one was installed and the system was re-filled with coolant.

We also made sure we had no air in the system but loosing the bleed valve until we saw coolant come out.

Tonight she drove no issues until on the way back and the light came on again but no bubbling until the 2nd time she had to stop.

I've read the head gasket may of gone but after doing some more reading and the signs to show it non of them show, oil is all okay, no smoke no loss of power.

I'm now stuck with ideas other than the waterpump..

Does anyone else have ideas of how we can resolve this before going to a garage and paying a fortune.

Thanks!

·
18,018 Posts
By yourself a "sniff kit" to test for the presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant to confirm or rule out head gasket failure. A test kit should cost around a tenner and it is something that anyone can do at home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By yourself a "sniff kit" to test for the presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant to confirm or rule out head gasket failure. A test kit should cost around a tenner and it is something that anyone can do at home.
Hello,
Oh thank you! I’ll get one ordered/picked up and try it. Upon doing that I will tell if head gasket has gone or not? Then go for next thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this what your referring to:

·
18,018 Posts
No.

·
18,018 Posts
Reactions: KrisElder

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
18,018 Posts
Are you getting a good, strong flow back into the expansion tank through the small hose?

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I know engine overheating can be caused by one of:

1. Not enough coolant in the system. It should never happen in pressure cooling systems, but if any gasket or pipe connection is leaking slowly it may happen. So in first place check the coolant level. Then if there is not enough coolant, check for possible leaks - it may be any coolant pipe, it may be radiator, thermostat or in worst case scenario - water pump.

2. Thermostat could stuck in closed position or is not opening as much as it's needed. This is vary plausible - thermostats very often fails after years.

3. Water pump lost its pressure - this is unusual unless propeller is made of plastic (I've seen some pumps of this type).
Plastic can erode and break out - finally after years your propeller can bel like after acid bath.

In terms of head gasket, I think it would be rather unusual if head gasket be the root cause here. Actually head gasket can be damaged if engine is overheating, so it's important to fix the issue as fast as possible. So I think that head gasket issue may be combined with one of listed above failures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts