Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Not having much luck with trying to diagnose this as I have not done any on this since purchase.
Came out to start the car yesterday turned key and nothing, assumed battery as it had been sat there for 2 days not driving (noted its a halfords battery 480 so has been changed previously). Charged overnight and still nothing. I do hear a faint click when turning.
I do have a thermostat to replace but that would not stop starting.
Tried doing pedal test and either unable to get it to work or it does not work maybe as no codes from battery removal?
Checked fuse 18 and this looks fine.
I have no volt meter neither jump leads, what should be my next step for checking around?
Thanks in advance

·
Worn Out Member
7,065 Posts
You need to check the battery voltage,a multi meter can be picked up really cheaply,or borrow one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so tested battery and its giving 12.88, tested starter fuse no problems there and can also hear the yellow relay (plus tested it) when ignition is turned. When ignition is turned there is nothing being drawn from the battery.
Is there anything else I need check before going under to the starter motor?
I have looked through posts and can only figure the earth strap which is behind the engine needs checking.

·
Worn Out Member
7,065 Posts
Does it attempt to crank at all ? if so take a battery reading when cranking

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
The next test is to check if you are getting voltage to the small signal wire on the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the crank position.
If you have power there, then it's likely the starter is u/s.

Reactions: Valer

·
Worn Out Member
7,065 Posts
The next test is to check if you are getting voltage to the small signal wire on the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the crank position.
I usually pull the relay and put 12 v straight to terminal 87,
saves all that crawling underneath if it cranks 👍

Reactions: Alan G H

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this located on the starter itself so under the car or can I go through the engine to get?

·
Worn Out Member
7,065 Posts
Do you know which is the starter relay in the UEC ?
here's a diagram for testing at the relay

How to Bypass relay (3).png

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Is this located on the starter itself so under the car or can I go through the engine to get?
It's on the starter. Or, do as Valer says, put 12 volts to terminal 87 in the UEC, same effect without crawling underneath!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK car is up and I am unable to see the starter for myself so I doubt with how I do not like being under a car on supports I will be able to change this myself.
2 things I did do, changed relay with 8 AC/Heater blower which I know works and nothing happened, no crank.
Then took a piece of wire from 87 to the battery whilst trying to turn ignition. Could still here the click and a faint spark when cable touch so enough to confirm to me a connection not touching just the plastic.
Pretty positive now this is starter motor unless I am missing anything else?

Looking around is Euro the best price for mid level starter?
Not sure I trust ebay

·
Worn Out Member
7,065 Posts
No need to juggle the ignition while bridging the starter relay,you're trying to see if it'll crank,not run,
it does sound like it's the starter but could still be a wiring problem,
we had one on here a couple of weeks back that was just a loose connection to the starter

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
OK car is up and I am unable to see the starter for myself so I doubt with how I do not like being under a car on supports I will be able to change this myself.
2 things I did do, changed relay with 8 AC/Heater blower which I know works and nothing happened, no crank.
Then took a piece of wire from 87 to the battery whilst trying to turn ignition. Could still here the click and a faint spark when cable touch so enough to confirm to me a connection not touching just the plastic.
Pretty positive now this is starter motor unless I am missing anything else?
Looking around is Euro the best price for mid level starter?
Not sure I trust ebay
It sounds pretty certain it's the starter at fault.
I'm not sure I would trust Eurocarparts myself, I've never had a problem with bits off ebay.
When you get the starter off, if you take it apart you may well find the brushes are worn out.
When my starter failed, I got a brush set from ebay and fitted it. Mine has been fine ever since.
I've just found it in my ebay history, this was in April 2019, and cost £13.99, for a Hitachi starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so that was all a waste of time and now a starter motor replaced for no reason. The issue is electrical.
I had to call a guy out as my normal mechanic is nearly full time down south now.
It was just to confirm all my observations and really to check the cable going to starter and I would order to replace next week.
I decided to get smart and purchased motor in readiness for a it is not to return. He changed it so open box :-(
Would not start so he did all checks again to include opcom. He is unable to communicate with anything at all!
To be fair he advised an auto electrician as it would take him hours to find the issue and they would be twice as quick to find reducing costs.

Any ideas where/what/why and is this possible to check over myself

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK so that was all a waste of time and now a starter motor replaced for no reason. The issue is electrical.
I had to call a guy out as my normal mechanic is nearly full time down south now.
It was just to confirm all my observations and really to check the cable going to starter and I would order to replace next week.
I decided to get smart and purchased motor in readiness for a it is not to return. He changed it so open box :-(
Would not start so he did all checks again to include opcom. He is unable to communicate with anything at all!
To be fair he advised an auto electrician as it would take him hours to find the issue and they would be twice as quick to find reducing costs.

Any ideas where/what/why and is this possible to check over myself
To add to this, I have just gone out and the starter will turn over when I remove R10 and bridge 30 and 87

1 - 16 of 16 Posts