Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

2011 Volvo V70 T6 AWD Auto

4K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
I have agreed to buy this, but haven't picked it up yet. So photos are a little scarce at the mo, and for some reason I can't seem to upload to Flickr at the moment.

But, it is an ex-Police Scotland car, from their Roads Police Unit. As such, there are plenty of nerds out there who like to photograph police cars and I found one of my car-to-be whilst it was in service. Obviously now it doesn't have the battenburg or lights attached, and there's a few blanking plates put in over the holes where they were.

SN61 FFO by Scottish Emergency, on Flickr

Relative basic spec.

Doesn't have leather interior. But the seats are very comfortable, and even a man of my stature is comfortable in there.
Stereo has been butchered - the radio works, as does the Aux-in socket, but there's no CD player anymore but then rarely do I listen to a CD as opposed to anything on my phone.

But what it DOES have, is a 3.0 litre petrol engine with a turbo, which makes 305bhp, and all wheel drive.

Which means it does shift quite well for a practical family wagon.

There's also some funky double-level boot floor system in place. I thought that it could have been where the secure gun box was mounted but apparently not. Would have been entertaining though to fill it up with Nerf guns/Super Soakers though! Actually, that could well still be amusing!

Should be collecting it this weekend and will update accordingly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent!!

Handsome car, with just about the comfiest car seats on earth.

Plenty of smooth torquey power too.

Should be able to sort the stereo parts via Ebay.

#3 ·
Got a couple of photos last night after a very long day to go and collect it.

It drives really well. It doesn't feel like 300bhp though, until you check the speedo and realise its much quicker than you expected. Fancy DSG-style twin clutch auto makes it super smooth.

Does need the numberplates changing to look a bit tidier, though there is clear evidence of where it was a police car before, for the money I paid, I can't argue with what I've got!

Untitled by Alex Lear, on Flickr

#12 ·
In a twist you’ll like even more, because it’s registered as ex-Authorities it doesn’t appear to have its co2 emissions registered the same as normal cars. So gets cheap tax, and when I try to log it on the expenses system I’ve had to make up the figure (you know all that corporate ‘greenwashing’ social stuff they do these days...)

#13 ·
If that has the same Geartronic box as my S80 they do benefit from a flush at the 100k mark or so. Buy the right oil in the right quantity as it has special 'friction modifiers'...normal cheap stuff slips and WILL fk it up big style. Gorgeous boxes as they all have a lock-up coupling when the revs/torque match to turn it into a more efficient drive instead of a fluid only. If you get suspension knock...strut top mounts are a good shout. The big volvos are awesome cruisers.

#18 ·
Couple of weeks into ownership now and done about 600 miles in it.

Its definitely a bit thirsty compared to the Skoda, but then, that was to be expected.

It also isn't as refinied. Probably a factor of it being ex-Police, rather than a cherished example who took care of it, and of course lacks a few of the creature comforts I had become accustomed to. However, it has decent air con, and the stereo works, and there's space for me to stick my phone to the dashboard if I want to use that as a sat nav.

Took it on a long run up to Birmingham earlier this week.

The thirst, of course, is related to the speed. And the speed is good, especially on the lovely M40 on an early-ish morning run, or an evening commute. Audi drivers who only have the same 2.0 diesel I'd had in the Skoda think they can sit up my chuff when we're both stuck behind some dawdling Hyundai but once they move over, the Volvo can shift, and fast. Putting the gearbox in "sport" mode has an immediate, noticeable effect on performance as well.

Equally, I can sit on the inside lane and people are very tentative to then overtake because they think it might still be an unmarked car, and if I hadn't had my daughter's sun shade in the rear window I may have kept that up a bit longer.

A few things I'll be looking to address in no particular order of priority:

- it needs a good wash outside, scrub off some of the glue residue that used to hold on the battenburg, and clean the wheels.
- Maybe look to get a replacement cd player for it, though I've heard various stories as to whether you can put replacements in without using the VIDA volvo diagnostic system or not.
- Get a bluetooth adapter for the aux-in port so I can stream from my phone without having a cable for it
- Maybe get the windows tinted/shaded to avoid needing the sun shade in the back; which I don't like.
- find a replacement load bay cover roller thing, which isn't present, so I can leave stuff in the boot more discreetly!

#19 ·
If we still had the "I Beat This" section then I could add "miffed Octavia VRS driver" to the list in this.

First proper TLGP since I've had it, and said Octavia, which I see fairly often with his distinctive Star Wars decals on the back, makes the **** move of deliberately going around queuing cars by taking the left hand lane on entry to the roundabout to then come back over and make a right turn, whilst I queue up properly.

Half a mile further and there he is, in the right hand lane despite no other traffic, and I'm in the left lane with no one ahead.

When the lights went green, he just couldn't really keep up, and he didn't look too happy that I beat him to the next roundabout, and then probably doubly so because he was finally in the correct lane to turn right, as was I, but I managed to get out and around before a stream of traffic going across from the left held him back

#20 ·
If we still had the "I Beat This" section then I could add "miffed Octavia VRS driver" to the list in this.

First proper TLGP since I've had it, and said Octavia, which I see fairly often with his distinctive Star Wars decals on the back, makes the **** move of deliberately going around queuing cars by taking the left hand lane on entry to the roundabout to then come back over and make a right turn, whilst I queue up properly.

Half a mile further and there he is, in the right hand lane despite no other traffic, and I'm in the left lane with no one ahead.

When the lights went green, he just couldn't really keep up, and he didn't look too happy that I beat him to the next roundabout, and then probably doubly so because he was finally in the correct lane to turn right, as was I, but I managed to get out and around before a stream of traffic going across from the left held him back
I'm sure it's fun at the moment Alex but those types of drivers your on about just get boring after a while.
If he wants to drive like a **** let him get on with it , your the better person for not rising to the bait.

Reactions: andy_v
#23 ·
But it did need lowering

And by definition because you were trying, you are a c0ck

(y)

#26 ·
Some legendary threads back in the 'I Beat This' section days.

Did it all get deleted?

"I was out having a 'spirited' drive, when a Porsche 911 Turbo pulled up along side me, so I hit Sport Mode on my Cavalier's automatic gearbox, and with a roll-on start, managed to get the jump on him, and to my surprise the Porsche started to drop back in my rear view mirror, and..........."

#31 ·
Is it broke?
Or really broke?

Reactions: Fred Bassett
#32 ·
I’d say really broke. One of the airbags went off but I don’t know which one, as the sensors wouldn’t let me start it. Oh and it smashed the radiator the headlight the bonnet the bumper the grill one of the wheels... and it wouldn’t let the recovery guy put it in Neutral to get it on the lorry.

But because it was a Volvo I was able to walk away pretty much unharmed

#36 ·
I’d say really broke. One of the airbags went off but I don’t know which one, as the sensors wouldn’t let me start it. Oh and it smashed the radiator the headlight the bonnet the bumper the grill one of the wheels... and it wouldn’t let the recovery guy put it in Neutral to get it on the lorry.

But because it was a Volvo I was able to walk away pretty much unharmed
Good job you missed the deer , that would have certainly wrote the car off.
Back in the 80’s my boss hit a deer in his 3500 Rover Vitesse , made a right old mess , totally flattened the roof.
Looks like your going to be car shopping again :)

Reactions: andy_v
#37 ·
A few pics

(oh and yes, the offside wheel arch, that was dinged a couple of weeks ago by a very apologetic delivery driver and we had everything sorted out, was going to get it fixed this weekend!)

Ouch by Alex Lear, on Flickr

#38 ·
Axa have indeed confirmed that the vehicle is a total loss, no doubt all those panels and engine bits to repair will have exceeded the value of the car.

Just awaiting the confirmation of what they're going to pay me for it, but of course their main concern now is to get back the car that they have loaned me for the last couple of weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.